What is hereditary and what isn't?

I ask this because I found out from my Aunt a couple of years back that my grandma had a baby that was born stillborn. Being a first time mom I hear all of these wives tales and probabilities and experiences from so many different people. I realize that EVERY pregnancy is different as is every woman. I also realize that technology has evolved considerably in the last 60+ years. However I just need some reassurance because I am over 7 months along which means D-day is getting closer by the day. I don't stay up nights worrying about it and I don't concentrate on the worry however it is a lingering thought that is in the back of my mind and makes an appearance every once in a while.

If anyone can answer this question I would be much obliged.

(P.S.) If you feel the need to post an unfriendly comment, or a comment stating "how dumb" you think this is, please save the room for comments that are meant to help. Thank you. :-)

FirstTimeMom224

Asked by FirstTimeMom224 at 8:50 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I actually asked this question as my mother had a child that was still born. My doctor told me that there is no reason to believe that it is hereditary and the chances of a still born child does not increase due to the fact that my mother had a still born child.

My sister and I all had happy, healthy babies. Good luck.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:59 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I do not believe still born would run in the family. Was there a reason givin for the baby being still born?
    My mother had a baby that died after a few days. His skull was not fully formed around his brain. This can be fixed now, but not 50 years ago. It is not technically genetic, but a lake of folic acid can cause this. So I doubled up on folic acid. If you knew the reason, maybe you could prevent it.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:57 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Honestly, because you don't know what caused the baby to be stillborn, there is no way to tell. Most often, stillborn births and miscarriages are caused by an issue with the baby. Be it a heart problem, a genetic disorder, etc. You just don't know. It isn't worth being all worked up about. You've made it to 7 months, you are in the last trimester and the baby is healthy. Dwell on that!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:58 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Hereditary is like something that you have that your mother/father had that their mother/father had. It's like something genetic. Lol. I wouldn't worry, though. Like you said, every pregnancy is different. It's okay, mama. We all worry about things at times during our pregnancies. :D
    PrYnceZzMommA

Answer by PrYnceZzMommA at 8:59 AM on Apr. 18, 2011