Why do I feel like she was being nosey?

The school has been through a lot of our ups and down in the last two years: when we became homeless, when I struggled with childcare, and a lot of other things. When I lost my job in January, I kept it low key and didn't advertize it. Thursday, the school councelor pulled my daughter how of class and was asking her questions. She wanted to know if I was working, and when my daughter told her I had a little haircut business at home, she said: "oh, yeah, that's right" (I don't even know how she would have known), she was asking her if they still saw the old babysitter, which, why would we have a sitter if I lost my job and have a little business at home? she asked a few other things and then when my daughter told her she was in the middle of math, she cut it short and sent her back to class. I don't know, I like to think she was asking out of concern, but part of me feels she was snooping. What do you think? sorry, I made this longer than I planned

joanie70

Asked by joanie70 at 8:52 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well I would prob feel that way too, but at the same time maybe you could feel reassured the school for once is actually being pro-active to protect children that are being abused or are in need :) Not yours of course, but their eyes are open and that's fantastic!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 8:56 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I think that the coucelor was asking out of concern, but at the same time, it does sound like she might have been snooping around for information as well. Those are really questions that she should have been asking you, not pulling your child from class to ask.
    PrYnceZzMommA

Answer by PrYnceZzMommA at 8:56 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• The counselor has no right to pull your daughter out of class. I would have a talk to the person and say if u have any questions u ask my don't pull my child out of class trying to get information out of her. I would be mad too. She is not only being nosey,she is being sneaky,going behind your back and talking to your daughter without your permission.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 8:57 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• maybe you should call the counselor and in a very polite and nonchalant way say "my daughter said you had some questions so I thought I would just ring you and see if I could help you". If you call her in an accusatory manor you may not get the reason behind the questions. Very calm and nonchalant might get him/her to open up as to what he/she wanted to know.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• The counselor DOES have a right to pull a child out of class and talk with them. That is their JOB. If you are worried about her being asked questions or what her answers would be, then you may have something to hide. CALL the counselor and just mention that he/she had your daughter in her office and you wanted to make sure everything was ok and if she had anymore questions. I am thinking the counselor was just concerned and wanted to make sure everything was ok in the home.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:10 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I don't have anything to hide when it comes to my kids, thank you very much!!!
    joanie70

Comment by joanie70 (original poster) at 9:19 AM on Apr. 18, 2011