When Flying...

Do you strap the car seat into the seats plane for your toddler or do you let them sit in the seat without a car seat? Were torn on what to do when we take our trip this weekend with our 2.5 year old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is safer to use the car seat. If there is a break failure, bad turbulence, etc. With that said we never used the car seat because there was more room for the little one to move around with out it. (we have flown 1-3 times a year since the babies were born 16 yrs ago)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Oh we never brought seats with us on the plane. Son sat in my lap till he was 2, then just sat in the seat after that. Really did not have anyway to carry a car seat
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:58 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I had my daughter strapped into the car seat for take off & landing (she couldnt see out the window if not in the see either) once the captain gave the okay to take off our seatbelts I did hers as well.... I would certainly have the child in it b/c if you have to strap them down for any reason its better to have the seat then not, they would be more comfy sleeping in their carseat then a plane seat too.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:59 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• We always brought their car seats. It's safer and more comfortable for them. FAA regulations do require the seat to be buckled into the plane's seat. I knew we would be doing a fair amount of flying, so when I purchased a car seat, I made sure that it was FAA approved (which means that it is capable of being installed into a standard airline seat).
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:12 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• If you are going to need your car seat on your trip, you are better off having your child use it on the plane--if it is FAA approved of course. Otherwise, if you check it with luggage, you don't know how well it will be taken care of. I've noticed that most children are more comfortable on a plane in their car seat, as if they were in a car. Most kids are eager to explore the plane if it's new to them so a way to control that is to use the car seat.
    GlamFangirl_48

Answer by GlamFangirl_48 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Yeah we decide to defiantly strap her into car seat on the plane. Its safer, shes used to it and we have a night flight so I dont want her thinking she can roam instead of sleep. thanks for everyones responses !
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2011