If your opinion,what is the difference between having faith and being religious?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 9:08 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Many of faith have no religion... and many many religious have no faith.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• religious is following a book and a human, faith is following your heart...lol./....sounds good to me
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:11 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Faith is your belief in a higher power, your living a good life. Faith is what is in your heart. Religion is the dogma of the church...the rules, the traditions,etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:11 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• What tyfry7496 said says it BEST!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:15 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I agree with tyfry. Faith is the individual belief, the personal conviction. Religion is the affiliation with the established church and "tradition". Many of us believe without accepting the church as "authority" or feeling as though we need church and the rituals or rites in order to fuel our personal faith/spirituality. I, for example, hardly ever attend church anymore. But my faith is my greatest part of my life. I'm constantly studying, discussing, digging, cultivating. It's my greatest passion. I don't lack sincerity or take my faith any less seriously merely because I don't attend a church regularly. I just know what personally works best for me, and work on feeding my personal faith my own way. It is possible to achieve that outside of the church and the bounds of established religion, as in the institution of dogma and orthodoxy and tradition, etc.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:21 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Faith - something everyone can have - that your car will start when you turn the key.
    Religion - a group of people gathering together in the name of faith in (insert your deity here).
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:21 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Faith is believing in something that cannot be proven. It's individual.

Spirituality is also individual, but to me it's about inner peace and wisdom, recognizing our interconnectedness, acknowledging things that are bigger than ourselves, & it also may be about self-improvement, how we treat ourselves, other people, other living things, the earth, etc. The focus is often on individual morals, but many spiritual people focus on community voluntarily, & even form groups minus dogma and rules. Finding one's own path is often the focus as well.

Religion is man-made and often focuses more on rituals, traditions, dogma, rules, & literature. It may be about community and shared ethics (voluntarily or forced depending on circumstances).

Many religious people are also spiritual, but not all spiritual people are religious or even rely on 'faith' as much as others. Some religions emphasize questioning & exploration more than others.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:55 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Faith: What you feel and believe ... very personal and very private

Religion: Man-made rules and regulations how you are "supposed" to believe and act (worship)
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:56 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I think they are two totally different things. Personally, my faith would be pointless without my religion. I couldn't be religious without my faith and I couldn't be faithful without my religion
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:29 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Religion is like what SpiritedWitch said, man made full of rules and regulations. Some view them as a guide to how you SHOULD live your life.

Faith is believing with your heart that something is true and it is very personal. I have faith but no religion :)
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 10:31 AM on Apr. 18, 2011