Too strict?

I was wondering if I am too strict? ALL my daughter thinks about or wants to do is play Pokemon or with a gaming system (Nintendo DS, Gameboy, XBox, Playstation etc.) She refuses to read any book except her Pokemon books that she's read over and over. First thing she asks to do when she wakes up is play a video game! I took all her Pokemon toys/books away (she has MANY other things to play with) and only let her play video games for a limited time on weekends (not on school nights). My goal is to let her use her imagination and open her up to other things that she might enjoy, but my husband feels I am being too strict. He is also a "gamer". What do you think? I am open to changing my ways!

Kari727

Asked by Kari727 at 9:14 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You got alot of good advice and more important you listened. But remember you are the parent and it is up to you to help her grow and become all she can be.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:23 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Have her read another book for 20 minutes in order to earn Pokemon playing time. Or she has to spend 30-60 minutes a day outside to earn Pokemon playing time.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Get her different pokemon books. Reading is NEVER bad. IF that's all she wants to read right now, then that is good, at least she wants to read. As she gets older her tastes will branch out. You can't pick and choose what she will or will not enjoy
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:17 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Im not a "gaming" fan in the least... life is too exciting to get stuck sitting staring at a screen all day. (lol as I stare at a screen right now)

I think you are 100% right BUT if your husband is a gamer then you have a BIG problem.  You cant tell her it is wrong and he does it.  Parents need to be a united front.  So you need to deal with your husband first and come up with a game plan (lol) that you both agree upon.  Looks like there will need to be compromise on both sides here.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I agree with reading is reading. Get her some new Pokeman books. Take her to the library.

Limit video games. or make her do things to earn time for them.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 9:19 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Your NOT to strict. I only let my kid's play video games 1 hour a day AFTER chores and homework was done.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Sounds perfect to me!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:17 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Actually she can tell her daughter she's wrong for wanting to game all the time, her husband is an ADULT. Children do not get to enjoy everything that adults do.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:19 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• vbruno-ok, I feel better about the video games! Lol

tyfry-She has to read for 20 mins a day for part of her homework, so maybe I will make it so she has to read other books for homework and Pokemon for fun.

Zaksymommy-I think maybe you're right. My husband says the same thing, so I will try to adjust things.

Thanks for all the advice ladies!!
    XoXo
    Kari727

Comment by Kari727 (original poster) at 9:21 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I do not feel you are to strict. As parents our job is to teach our children a variety of things. I recently took music, television, and computer away from my girls. I went old school and told them to find something outside to do. There is so many things to explore that they can learn from. Games are a privilege and not something that they absolutely have to have.
    nicole549

Answer by nicole549 at 9:25 AM on Apr. 18, 2011