How can I help to remotivate my graduating senior?

I have a 17 year old daughter who will be graduating this year. She makes good grades, stays out of trouble (until recently). She has always been motivated and lately is like a can on a shelf. She is slow about applying for any college or doing anything in regards to her future. I am looking for ways that I can motivate her without hounding her.

nicole549

Asked by nicole549 at 9:22 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• do you think she could be a bit afraid of this next step?
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 9:23 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Sounds like you need to head out on a couple of girls weekends that include college tours.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:26 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I would tell her she is near the finish line and she can't give up now. I would maybe take a day to be alone with her and maybe an overnight together to talk and get reconnected. And I would take over and line up college visits, get the applications, etc. I know a lot of moms don't agree with that, but these kids work hard and sometimes need a push to finish. We had a file folder full of college apps when our kids were at this age and we worked on them together every weekend to finish them. It is a daunting task for a kid to do alone. JMO GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:54 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Maybe she needs a gap year.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 12:36 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I have to agree with sahlady. My dd is also 17 almost 18 and is also graduating this June. Although she now has all her plans set for the fall, it was a struggle. Everything was done last minute. She wanted to do early admissions, but right up to the last date allowed. The more I nagged the more she pulled away. So common for us!! But it did hit me the day she just lost it and started yelling and crying. She so wants to go to college and have a career, but is scared to death. Here I thought I was the only one! Once we talked calmly, which is not easy for us!, and she told me just what she wanted then we knew what to do and how to do it. Maybe she does need a year off, maybe she just doesn't know. I would let her know that she does need some kind of plan. A job, or school, she has to decide. When she see all her friends going and moving on she'll figure it out. Good luck.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 3:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• find out what her aspirations are. alot of kids change their mind on a daily basis, but if there is something that interests her, help her with what she wants to do. get her involved with graduation things too and make it all about her. : )
    ginybelle

Answer by ginybelle at 12:59 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• It sounds to me like she is scared to leave home. It might be a good idea to have a girls vacation and take college tours
    to help her.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 12:03 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• i got in a hump and it comes back
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 12:09 PM on May. 20, 2011