Would you call the teacher on this?

My son took a spelling test last week and got all the words correct yet the teacher marked one of them wrong; what would you do?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 9:27 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would calmly go in and discuss it. Or if you can email her, do that. Tell her you are trying to understand what the spelling should be. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I would not call I would let your little one handle it. He should bring the test back in and show it to her and see what the teachers says.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:29 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• NO. I would have the CHILD talk to the teacher. This is an ideal life lesson for your son.... have HIM go in with his paper and politely ask her to take a look at it. Coach him on how to do this in a polite, respectful, yet self assured manor.

I dont believe in coddling my kids the whole way through school....... I think it is MUCH better to teach them how to do these types of things for themselves.  They end up MUCH better students.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• If you are certain he got it right, I would send it back with a note asking the teacher to look over the wrong answer again. I have had to do this with my daughter's teacher this year and she apologized and thanked me for bringing it to her attention....and then she reassured me that she changed her grade to reflect the higher score.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:29 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I'd have my child take the paper to the teacher & point out the error. Teachers make mistakes too. I'm sure the teacher would be happy to fix it.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 9:30 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• write a note and attach it to the test, I've done it with my daughters math homework...
    paigesmommy5264

Answer by paigesmommy5264 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Yes, I would. I'm sure it was an honest mistake but it still effects his grade.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 9:28 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I would have my son ask her himself why she marked one that's wrong. I know my writing was and still kinda is big, bubbly & a mixture between cursive & print. Some people (esp my dad LOL) have a hard time reading it. I know in school my teachers used to have to ask me if the letters were an "o" or an lower case "a". It could be an honest mistake.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 9:30 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I would call her and point out her mistake. Kids work hard and when they do well it should be rewarded.
    Momof4gmdt

Answer by Momof4gmdt at 9:32 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Since you posted this in 9-12, I'm assuming your son is in that age range. I would have him talk to the teacher about it. He will have to learn to talk to his teachers sooner or later and better now than later. Rehearse with him what he should say so it comes across tactful and polite.

Answer by missanc at 9:44 AM on Apr. 18, 2011