Why do parents have to take things to the extreme????

Now don't get me wrong we all have our parenting methods, but why do so many feel lately that they must control every bite of food that goes into their childs mouth? I see in the press all the hype about stripping kids of all forms of sugar and anything that might be the least bit unhealthy. I hear from parents about how they "ban" all sugar, corn syrup, etc. Why must it go to extremes?

I can't help but feel that in some ways the over protectiveness is actually hurting them. How can you expect you child to understand moderation and balance when all they do when out of your site is binge eat on all the stuff that is "taboo" at home? I knew kids whose parents were like this. Now they are fighting wars with eating disorders and have self esteem issues.

Why not just teach you child about keeping things in moderation and to exercise? Make it a family event and fun without putting any undue pressure to be skinny. All your kids are hearing in the news you watch about the childhood obesity stuff. They know why you are doing it and thus they learn at way too young an age that they HAVE to be "skinny" if they want to make mom and dad happy.

I know not all parents are extreme like this but the ones that are just drive me nuts cause it is the children that have to suffer thru no fault of their own.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Humm I have to agree with you.
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 9:56 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• All parents can do is control that kind of stuff at home. Out of the house things can and will happen.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:58 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Just like those take things to the extreme, people also take the "moderation" to the extreme.  I don't think banning those things from your children does them actual harm, it's just simply another way to parent.  In my house (and that's the only one I can speak for) I thought we were doing pretty good on the "moderation" but I've found that not overthinking it is the way to go for us.  The kids eat whatever they want, period.  They eat their fruits and vegetables so on those mornings they wake up wanting ice cream, then we eat some freaking ice cream for breakfast.  And all of my kids were chunky as babies, and are naturally muscular now thanks to good genes.  (Not from me of course, from their dad, lol).  They don't "have" to look any certain way. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:59 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• food nazis!!!!! lol!

seems like some form of insecurity to me, the need to control every little thing about their child. i've read here on CM where a mom will state she used to be fat or grew up overweight and doesn't want her child to be bullied like she was or feel bad about herself, so they control the food/sugar/etc....sounds like the momma still has issues she hasn't dealt with, regardless of her thinner-self.
    as with anything, personal responsibility and moderation is the key to success.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:01 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Continued......  When someone says "I don't allow any of that in my house" I think "oh okay", lol.  Maybe someone who believes in moderation thinks I feed my kids too much junk.  Someone else who doesn't feed their children any "junk" probaly thinks I feed my kids like crap.  And the people who feed their kids nothing but "junk" probaly think I'm way too strict and that I'm "not fun".  It's all a matter of opinion.  Sorry, I'm on my 2nd cup of coffee and raring to go, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:02 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I grew up with that "extreme"- I didn't binge on junk when I got out without my parents, in fact, I didn't have a taste for garbage at all. BECAUSE I hadn't been exposed to it.

As for my children, they have 'treats'- they know what are everyday foods (whole foods) and what are not (processed foods). Given the choice without me present, they choose whole foods about 90% of the time. I'm sorry, but your point is moot. Eating well IS about moderation, even when you have eliminated the majority of the "bad" foods form your diet. If you fail to see that, I am sorry.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:04 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I agree with you. My son was 22lbs when he was 6 months old, he was BEYOND chunky. He had enough cereal in his bottle to spoon feed him when he was 3 months old. He was a HUNGRY baby. That fat baby is now 6'1" and maybe 145lbs soaking wet. My daughter was born petite and at 12 she still is. I've never really banned certain foods, unless I couldn't stand them.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:04 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Because it makes them feel better about themselves. They are able to look at the mom at the playground offering their child a juice box and some Goldfish Crackers and say "My child only drinks water and we don't eat processed foods".

The kicker is--their child might end up like me. My mom was strict with food. We weren't allowed sugared foods or fatty foods or sodas. We weren't allowed 'junk'. I was never overweight in my youth. I went away to college and was suddenly allowed to make unhealthy choices and I made them. Now i struggle with my weight everyday. I wish I was taught moderation and allowed to have some of that stuff instead of being denied it all. I might not have the struggle I have now. I'm teaching my kids moderation in the hopes that it sticks.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:07 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• The forbidden fruit is what many kids and adolescents seem to gravitate towards. Everything in moderation is a healthier approach-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:25 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Layh- stop blaming your lack of self control on your parents.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:37 AM on Apr. 18, 2011