Should I ask for more punishment?

Last week my 2nd grade daughter got beat up on the bus by a 1st grader. The boy was standing on the seat in front of her, punching her, while another 1st grade boy stood on the seat behind her, screaming at her to "shut her mouth" as she called for the bus driver, who did not hear/see what was happening. I called the bus supervisor and principal. The boy who did the punching admitted to doing it, and all that happened was the principal told him (and the boy who was screaming at my daughter) that they weren't allowed to sit near her anymore. Now, I don't expect a 1st grader to be expelled or anything, but he beat up my daughter! Should I complain about the punishment (or lack there of) that he received?

Kari727

Asked by Kari727 at 10:02 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i don't give a crap if it's just a first grader. He's old enough to know what he did was wrong. When my son rode the bus we, and he, had to sign a contract, and if there was any innappropriate behavior (like that!) they would not get to ride the bus at all the rest of the year.

If the boy can't behaive, the parents can find another way to get him to school. Both of the boys. Education is a right, riding the bus is not. I would definately complain, i would think at least two weeks suspension from the bus would get the point across, and a second offense...off the bus completely.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 7:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• There should seriously be some kind of meeting going on!!! There should be some other punishment for those kids so that they learn to not do such things.
    wowguildmomma

Answer by wowguildmomma at 10:10 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• WOW!!! I WOULD BE LIVID!! I have a 5 year old who rides the bus and if this would happen, i would raise hell.

First, HOW would the bus driver NOT see a boy standing on the seat, let alone 2 boys standing on a seat. I am sure they weren't midgets (no, I am not picking on short people).

Second...I would insist that THEY are off the bus for the rest of the year. Hell, if the parents can't or won't correct the situation (or have the, "my child can do no wrong" syndrom...then they should PAY by driving their child each day).

Third...I would want to make sure those kids have NO CONTACT what so ever with my child at school.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• OMG THAT PISSES ME OFF!  I would be at that school so fast they wouldn't even know what hit them!  We would ALL be having a conference including the kids parents.  No way in hell would I be okay with him literally getting away with that kind of behavior.  I wouldn't tolerate one of my children doing that to someone else and I damn sure wouldn't tolerate it happening to my own.  Okay, sorry, got a little worked up.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:05 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Hell ya, you should be at that school raising hell
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:06 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Umm yes, I absolutely would complain more. I dont understand why they weren't suspended. ou hit once at our kids school and its automatic 3 days oss.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 10:07 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Bullying is such a hot topic in our schools right now that it really suprises me and quite frankly, disappoints me in the lack of discipline the school system bestowed upon these boys. How are these kids suppose to understand the danger of bullying if the system does not teach them about consequences????
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 10:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I would wait to see if the new seating rectifies the problem. If it happens again then I would step in.
    NoRest4theWickd

Answer by NoRest4theWickd at 10:35 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• That's how I feel too! But I tend to get "worked up" alot about people hurting my kids/family, so I didn't know if I was overreacting or not.
    Kari727

Comment by Kari727 (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• And I agree with ItsJustMe, aren't there mirrors put up in the front of the bus?  That way all the bus driver has to do is glance and see the entire aisle of children?  When I rode the bus, we had freaking video cameras on our buses.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:12 AM on Apr. 18, 2011