Which is a better deal?

We have a 1 acre yard. In ten years I have killed 3 new lawn mowers and 4 second hand.ones. I have a push mower (non gas/non-electric) but the blades go dull very quickly and it takes hours longer to cut.
So here's the delimma.
We know a guy who is willing to cut the lawn for $50 cash every two weeks with his ride on. (He has a business). BUT we are his only client on this area of town and will have to pay for his tolls as well. He also has us at the end of his list so it might be a month before he comes. esp if it rains and then his other clients get done before us....

We can either pre pay with the tax money for the season or tighten our belt and get our own ride on (which I can't drive- yet) for $1500.
So what is better $800 for the year or $1500 for the machine? Please bear in mind that my city will fine you no less than $85 for an un cut lawn as it is considered a health issue.
All other lawn services charge $80-$150 for our lawn. Though some might lessen it a bit if we prepay for the season. But then we could use our cards.
Ideas?

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 10:10 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Home & Garden

• We bought a good, little bigger than we thought we needed, John Deere lawn/garden tractor 15 years ago. They had in-store financing and it took us 3 years to pay it off. BUT - we still have that tractor, we still use it and let me tell you, it is so much better to have something like that. Not only for mowing, but you can get a blade and breeze through snow removal, get other attachments for other things, like your gardening, a wagon for hauling - you just never know! So, that 2800 plus finance charge we spent 15 years ago has paid for itself over and over again over the years. If your circumstance changes, you can always sell it and get a good price for it.
    mrslabel

Answer by mrslabel at 3:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I'm thinking there's probably a kid on your block who would do it for like $10-$20 bucks and bring his own mower. I have kids knocking on my door at least once a week asking me if they can mow my lawn for $10. That's just too much money for me personally to spend.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:17 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• mmm I would say buying a lawn mower. Then it is cut when is needed to be and not let to grow to WOW height and possibly risking a fine due to the lawn guy not showing.
    wowguildmomma

Answer by wowguildmomma at 10:14 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Sounds like the guy is a pain the rear already, I'd avoide him altogether and get my own :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 10:14 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• get your own. it'll pay for itself by next summer and you can cut it whenever it needs without worrying about when the service can get to it.
    kyleraye

Answer by kyleraye at 10:15 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I would buy the riding mower. It may be more out-of-pocket initially. But that mower will last you MANY seasons over paying $800 every season with the potential of rate increases.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:15 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Unfortunately the kids want $30 for the small back yard and $50 for the front.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 10:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Personally - purchase the riding mower - but look for a TRACTOR and not a mower - those are a bit more costly, but heavier duty.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:38 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Just pay someone to do it, that is what we do right now and it is just nice to not have to worry about it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:06 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I'd go with buying your own mower. That way you don't have the added risk of getting fined when something comes up and he doesn't show. I'd hate for someone to come by and ticket you for that extra $$(I'd be tempted to bill the grass guy for it! lol).
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:54 AM on Apr. 18, 2011