For those with wood playsets in the yard...

How often do you sand them down and weather proof?
Ours is over ten years old and it seems like I have to do it in spring and summer to avoid massive splinters.

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 10:13 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I'd like to know to! We aren't even done buiilding ours ( stupid rain!)
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 10:14 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Every year.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:28 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• When we had one, we'd inspect, sand, tighten, and re-weatherproof once a year.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:36 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• We don't have one, but i would think that it would be good to inspect and do those things once a year or at least every other year.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:05 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Every Spring it gets inspected and re-stained.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 4:06 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I have worked with my husband in carpentry for more years that I want to admit. I've learned that for something like that where it is exposed to the weather 24/7, at least once per year you need to get some wood preservative product on it, whether it's Thompson's waterseal, stain or paint. If you want it to last and look nice, get something on it. As far as the sanding part, unless it is badly weather checked and splintered, you shouldn't have to sand too much. If it has taken a pretty severe beating or been neglected, make sure you replace any of the boards that are weak. Better to spend a few dollars on a new board than time in the ER for a broken limb or stiches!
    mrslabel

Answer by mrslabel at 3:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2011