If they pass a law making it illegal to preach against homosexuality would your church obey the law?

Honestly in my church we have never had a sermon on this topic. But if you were to sit down and ask the pastor you would get the bibles stand on homosexuality. But i do not believe that just because it will offend someone it shouldn't be preached. The church believes in the bible and as long as they preach about all the other sins equally i don't have a problem. Trust me my sins preached against and its not always comfortable for me to sit through lol Just like i believe gay people shouldn't be bullied about their lifestyle Christiansshould not be bullied into changing ours. Separation of church and state im sure they couldn't but i always hear talk of what it.  What do you think?

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 10:14 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think they can do that...seperation of church and state!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• That's the thing about freedom of religion in this country...you can chose to believe what you want. If a person is not comfortable with the stance their chosen religion holds on certain things they are free to try another religion. The gov't isnt going to be able to put a muffler on what is spoken about inside any church or religion concerning..well..anything. Abortion is legal yet religions speak against it. (just an example). Personally, I chose to be spiritual in my own way rather then follow the "rules' made by men for organized religion. Love is love no matter what sex you & your partner are. If God teaches love & tolerance then homosexuals should be extended that love & tolerance as well.
    Anonymous

• I'm a bisexual & I don't attend church bc I don't want to. BUT I don't think that law should be passed. I think there's too many laws nowadays. We should have the freedom to be gay & those that aren't should have the freedom to voice their opinions about it especially in church bc most ppl that are truly aganist gays are religious. United States used to be the land of free ..... we can't even make the decision to let our kids NOT wear helmets on their bikes if we don't want to anymore. It's getting outta control. When that non smoking law was passed, it opened up the doors to alllllllll these other laws.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 10:24 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• They cannot stop a church from preaching homosexuality is "wrong' it's part of the seperation of churcha nd state and the freedom of speech protected by the first ammendment (otherwise they would have jailed the westboro clan LONG ago). Those idiots should be proof that your rights are well protected. Now if the church advocates hate speech (ie encourages their congregation to go out and commit heinous acts such as physical violence against homosexuals) there might be a chance they can get involved as it is no longer Just speech but is turning into action against gays through violent means, there might be a grey area in which case the law can get involved, but unless the congregation is holding a "beat a gay person to death" meeting I don't think there's much you'd have to worry about other than equal free speech from others calling you a homophobe or bigot.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:26 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Someone's been watching CBN news again *sigh*
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:26 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I agree with you OP.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:27 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• loudnproud, there's a difference in laws made to protect minors and others from injury or health problems (especially those caused by others) and the right to voice one's opinion on a matter. Have you seen what happens when a kid gets hit by a car or something while riding a bike and NOT wearing a helmet? Here's a clue, statistics for them surviving is LOW.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:29 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• It wouldn't happen here in the U.S. My church has never discussed the issue, as far as I know. Our homilies are relevant to one of the Readings of the day. Or an appeal by dioceses.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:32 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I am bisexual also and my church has never talked about the subject (as far as I know, I haven't been there every Sunday) I don't think that law should be passed. We should have the right to discuss anything we wish, even if we don't agree with it. If you don't want to listen to a sermon you can leave or find a new church.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:32 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• don't worry, your church and other churchs' are well protected to continue to preach hatred towards the sins of certain groups of people; despite the fact that you are all "sinners".
    The hypocrisy is well protected...one of the downfalls of our freedom of speech and seperation of church and state.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:44 AM on Apr. 18, 2011