Bullying

Do you think this has been blown out of proportion?

Or do you think it needs to be dealt with?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• Both really. Alot has been blown out of preportion, and some have been completely neglected. When I was growing up, a dirty look or a snide word wasn't bullying. Getting teased wasn't bullying. Being bullied was being physically harmed, or followed, it was more extreme. EVERYONE gets teased for something or other. It's a fact of life, it's very hard to go through and to watch our kids go through it, but at the same point we need to LEARN how to deal with that. "Bullies" and Teasing doesn't stop in adulthood. I dunno, it's a double edged sword really
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:23 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I have read some posts on here where I don't feel like actual bullying has occurred.  I have also read ones that have peed me off to no end.  That is a matter of opinion though.  No child deserves to be bullied and no child should get away with it.  Personally all the school would have to do is tell me that my kid was being mean to another, I guarantee they wouldn't do it again.  At school, nothing interrupts my child's learning.  And I expect no less from my own.  Your at school to learn, period.  The rest of that crap is just that, crap.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:25 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Kids are DYING so it's important enough to be taken seriously.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:40 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• It does need more attention and it is about time but at the same time the media does blow things up a tad bit for ratings.
    It is nothing new that kids are bullied and want to kill themselves. I was 11 when I was bullied to the point of wanting to kill myself.
    I still suffer from social anxiety because of the rejection of my peers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I think it's something that needs to be dealt with. If adults were to do to each other what kids get away with it would be called torture, harassment and abuse. But because "kids will be kids" (rolls eyes) they get away with it.

I was bullied from 4th grade until I graduated. One day an older kid on the playground intentionally threw a rubber ball at my face hard enough to give me a bloody nose (I don't bleed easily) right in front of the playground teacher. HE claimed it was an accident and the teacher claimed she saw nothing wrong with me, even though the shirt I was wearing was covered in blood and I was seeing double.

Bullies are no different than abusers in my book. They both charm the people in charge into to thinking they're the greatest thing since sliced bread when in actuality they're pond scum.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:00 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Oh, and if it weren't for a high school science teacher that actually cared about ME, I would have committed suicide from the "teasing" (not the sarcasm) from my "peers".
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:02 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Parents need to parent so teachers can teach.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 12:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• well, my kid was getting pushed down to the ground and punched in the stomach daily by a bully, and that was aside from the teasing and such, so no, i don't think it's blown out of porportion.

"Parents need to parent so teachers can teach." AGREED.
    Anonymous

• school busI was bullied all through my 4th grade to high school because I was always the new kid..constantly being moved from state to state. I wish I had had parents who cared, a principal or teacher..anyone. It creates low self esteem & follows you into adulthood. In my opinion bullying can never be blown out of proportion although some parents whose children ARE the bullies might believe so. Always better to look into it than to disregard. And when my kids have had problems @ school they know their dad & I are there to support them & take care of the matter through any means possible. We take it seriously.

Mrs_Doll

Answer by Mrs_Doll at 3:25 PM on Apr. 18, 2011