Husband Working Nights Sleeping Question....

For those who have hubbies that work nights how long do they sleep during the day. I tend to think 8 hours enough. In reality I would love for him to be able to sleep as long as he wants to but if he did that he would be asleep the whole time that he is home. How does your family work it? Do you wake him up after a certain amount of time?

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 10:38 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• lol, your husband is lucky. I work overnights and I'm luck if I get 2 hours of sleep on the days I'm home with the kids.. on the 2 days they're in daycare I get about 4-5 hours.
    NoRest4theWickd

Answer by NoRest4theWickd at 10:52 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I work nights and wish I could get 8 hours of sleep! I usally get home at 3am and get to bed about 4am. Then I'm up by 9am... but that is amazing that you let him sleep.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• he slept more than 8 hours i think that 3rd shift really confuses you body and sleep schedule. he would sleep until 2 hours before work and that's why he found a different job he missed spending time with me and the kids.

whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 10:42 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My fiance works from 9:30 PM til 8 am. He usually leaves the house about 8:45 pm and arrives home around 8:45 am. Usually he is asleep before 9:15. He is the type that can fall asleep easily. I have to wake him at 3:15pm 3 days a week, 4:15pm one and 2:15pm another to pick up my son from school. Usually he doesn't go back to sleep after that, altho he might lay down on the couch for an hour or so. By the end of the week he is usually more tired and lays down before his shower. During his time awake tho he is always present and involved in family life even if it is just by conversation. People who work overnights have a cronic need for extra sleep and I try to let him sleep as much as I can. On his days off and when my son doesn't have school I usually let him sleep til 5pm or there abouts.
    1lv2stks3nlz4ev

Answer by 1lv2stks3nlz4ev at 10:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Right now my husband works 12 hour shifts during the night.  Their shifts change every 6 weeks.  I only wake him up either when he asks me to wake him at a certain time or someone calls for him.  Today for example, he doesn't work tonight so he wants to get up at 2pm (after 5 hours of sleep) so that he can enjoy some daylight and grill out.  It's hard but we make it work.  How many days off a week does your husband get?

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• 3rd shift could really throw you off your game. I really think you should your DH decide how much sleep he needs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My husband works nights but he is also taking classes two days a week so some days, he sleeps 10 hours and some days he may only get 4-6 hours. I let him sleep because his schedule is odd and he needs whatever sleep he can get. However, there are things you can do to help make sure he gets the best sleep possible- buy blackout curtains, turn off his cell phone or the ringer on the home phone if it is in the bedroom, make it as quite as possible. If you need more ideas on what works for a husband who works nights, let me know. We have been doing this for almost 6 years now.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:01 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My hubby gets home at around 8 am; goes to be within an hour or so and wakes up around 3. Spends time with the kids/family, sometimes has dinner with us, sometimes not cuz he goes back to bed at 6 or so until 10, at which time he gets up to get ready for work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I used to work nights and I slept about 7 hours after I got home. I felt guilty if I slept any more than that. I worked 12 hour nights on the weekends.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:09 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I worked the overnight for 10 years. It was so hard. I would generally average 5 hours of sleep. I would have loved 8 hours, but I rarely was able to stay asleep for any longer than 5 hours.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:10 AM on Apr. 18, 2011