Anyone ever had there kids name stolen?

A work friend's pregnant friend moved down the street 3 months before DS was born. 3 months later her DS was born and she named him Liam.

I had met this girl when I was pregnant and she had just found out she was prego. I told her our baby name. She said she was going to name her baby William because it was a family name. I found out from my work friend that she had changed her mind and was going to name the baby Gavin. Which was the bosses new baby's name. Obviously that changed too.

So now there are 2 Liam's on the street and to make it worse they live on the same side of the road just at the other end but it's the same nuber of houses from the main road as ours.

Has this ever happend to you??

Liamsmom09

Asked by Liamsmom09 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Baby Names

• I don't see how you can "steal" a name. If you like a name, use it. Simple as that.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:41 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• simple solution.. don't tell people what you plan on naming your kid
    NoRest4theWickd

Answer by NoRest4theWickd at 10:43 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Point one, you can't "steal" a name. Names aren't "owned". And Liam is a popular name right now anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My cousin "stole" both my girl names. Chloe and Kenzie. If I have a girl one day I don't care I'm going to name her one of the two anyway
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:44 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I understand that you cannot steal a name... but I have a bad one. My ex husband and I had planned on trying for another baby, if we were to have a girl her name would have been Alana Marie... well turns out, he cheated and the other woman got pregnant... she named the little girl Lilliana Marie!!! I was mad for a few because she did it on purpose lol.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Liam has become a popular name. I know several myself. Maybe she heard it, had never thought of if and decided she liked it.

The last time I checked, you can name you child anything you want. You can't 'steal' a name.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• YES! My ex SIL's friend was 6 months preg when my son was 3 months old & we meet her. She looked straight at me & said "Your son's name is soooooo cute. I'm STEALING IT!" She stole his first & middle name. I couldn't believe it. I wanted to actually slap the crap outta her & be like WTF lady you can't come up with your kid's own name ? LOL Immature I know. But my son's name was sooooooooooooo unheard of than BOOM! There's another one thats only 6 months younger. I only know of 2 other ones that are around his age as well, but I don't know them. So they didn't steal it. LOL
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 10:43 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Parents can name their children whatever they want.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:48 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I think in that case, everyone has a "stolen" name.  There is always someone, even if you've never met them that could possibly have your name.  If I wanted to use a baby name of someone I know though, I would talk to them about it first just to let them know that I really like that name and that I appreciate them giving me the idea for it.  My 3rd child, her name is Makiah.  A friend of mine (we're not friends anymore for other reasons) named her child Makiah.  I was flattered, not upset.  My brother in law loves my 2nd childs name of Jamiah but they put their own spin on it to match his name and went with Jayla.  Again, I'm flattered that they asked us what we thought and went with our idea. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Yep, first middle and last name (did i mention it was my exBIL?) Cody Mathew Phillips.. My poor baby has a cousin 2 weeks younger than him with the same dang name! I stopped telling people what I wanted to name my kiddos and gave them the "Runner up" names so I wasn't upset if they used them anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Apr. 18, 2011