Breastfeeding, in adequate?

I was at Target yetsertday, in the vitamin secyion and I see a few of that baby fromula brand 'Enafamil" on these little dropper vitamins form babies, so I read the labels and they all said that breastfed and partially breastfed babies need these vitamins, as if breastmilk is inadequate and formula is superior... What is your take on this, do you give your breastfed babies these vitamins?

amberpatterson

Asked by amberpatterson at 10:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope I do not, it's probably a way to get their product sold. You cannot compete against breastmilk.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 10:48 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• There is no need to supplement breast milk with any vitamins especially if you are following what most doctors tell you and continue to take your prenatal or a multivitamin yourself. You need an extra boost for the baby, the baby doesn't need it. Gotta love the idiots in marketing that have "snowed" new moms into paranoia.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:58 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• No, it just means that there isn't as much vitamin D in breastmilk than there is in formula... breastmilk is still best and any one with half a brain knows that... not that formula is poison but breast is always best.
    NoRest4theWickd

Answer by NoRest4theWickd at 10:46 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I never did. My doctor never said too either. As long as you eat a healthy diet I don't think they are needed.
    CrazyMommy87

Answer by CrazyMommy87 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I breast feed and give my daughter the trivisol vitamin supplememt
    NoRest4theWickd

Answer by NoRest4theWickd at 10:48 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I agree with yesmaam to the fullest.  Have any of us breastfeeding mamas ever worried that our babies aren't getting enough of this or enough of that?  I'm guilty of that with ALL of my kids and I think that company is playing on that fear.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• if you eat a balanced diet neither of you need extras, its when you cut something out that both of you need extras. eat healthy and your baby will get healthy nourishment from your milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• As long as the mother is a responsible they are not needed but there are those out there that do not and still breast feed. Its just a supliment and meant for us to use our best judgement.
    tburnett1105

Answer by tburnett1105 at 10:52 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• No vitamins needed....just people trying to make money off you
    leejoy

Answer by leejoy at 11:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• There is no need for the vitamins. Does it give you a clue that they are made by the biggest distributor of baby formula? My baby's doc told me that breastfed babies have a vitamin deficiency. Horse crap, imo. Never gave them to him, never going to. He is the prefect weight, height, and is very advanced for his age in motor skills. Breast milk is the prefect food for babies :)
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 12:04 PM on Apr. 18, 2011