Mary Magdalene

In your opinion, who was Mary Magdalene?
Prostitute?
Saint?
Wife of Jesus?

Felicita4

Asked by Felicita4 at 10:59 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Just a woman in the Bible. I don't believe she was the wife of Jesus.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:04 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I am open to the idea that she and Jesus were married. Then again, I don't believe Jesus was divine, so there is no conflict of belief in thinking he would have lived as a normal man, being a normal (yet enlightened) man, IMO. I can't say one way or another whether I truly believe it, just because I'm not completely sure, but I am open to the idea and believe there is evidence for it, even in the Bible itself. I don't believe she was a prostitute, though I don't think it matters either way if she were. I do believe she was one of Jesus' disciples, whether or not she was recognized on the same level as the men, I'm not sure, but I do believe she was somehow "in" that group, if you get what I mean. Whether because she was merely a fellow leaner and admirer of Jesus, or she was family (his wife), I'm not sure... But I am open to thinking about it, and it is a subject I'm interested in. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Prostitute?

No, even the Vatican admitted in 1969 that they had made a mistake. She should not be viewed as a prostitute.

Saint?

Personally, I don't believe in Saints, so no.

Wife of Jesus?

Possibly, but we'll probably never know for sure. I'm not even entirely convinced of an historical Jesus, but I do believe the teachings came from someone and there MAY have been an historical Jesus. I believe he was probably a fully human teacher rather than divine though. If there was an historical Jesus (rather than just a Jesus myth), maybe he chose to take a wife as many Jewish Rabbis did. Maybe he chose not to, as others did. Maybe she was his wife (depends what you think 'companion' means in some of the texts). Maybe she was a just a disciple and friend, and perhaps he felt she was particularly enlightened and considered her one of his most trusted disciples.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I believe she was most likely Jesus' wife, and the mother of his daughter.

I don't believe in Saints. And the texts make it clear she was not a prostitute.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:25 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• She was a women highly respected by Jesus. She is a good role model in the bible for women to look up to as she was a follower in His ministry, death, and resurrection.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 11:34 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I thought she was a business woman who married Jesus.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Growing up she was basically a follower of Christ who he helped at one point.

Nowadays, Im more apt to believe she was more than that...probably even his wife.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Mary Magdalene provided financial support to Jesus’ ministry and had been demon possessed before she met Him (Luke 8:1–3). She was also a witness to Christ's resurrection. She was not Jesus' wife; I'm not convinced she was a prostitute; and if by saint you mean a Christian, then yes - but in the sense of Catholicism, no.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 12:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• its really hard to know for certain b/c there are so many Marys mentioned in the Bible. she isnt the prostitute women who washed Jesus' feet (her name isnt even mentioned). i believe she was a follower of Jesus, close enough that she went w/ Jesus mother to anoint his dead body and i think she was one of his closer disciples but was written out b/c of her gender. and i think its a possibility she was his wife, but there isnt enough evidence for me to be definite either way.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• A Saint according to the christian bible
    she was a former adulteress set free by Jesus Himself
    She was a lover in the sense she loved Jesus with love one another as He has loved you.
    His wife? Absolutely not.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2011