If you have chickens and ducks or just one of something please help me i have a question :)

we bought chickens about 2 weeks ago were happy so one of my friends recived 12 chcikens and 2 ducks from someone who thought they were doing a nice thing..but my friend never wanted chcikens (she hates birds ) and her dh thought he could handle them and come to find out he cant stomach even cleaning them so her dh called mine and my dh offerd to take them. ( thats alot of farm birds lol ) but mine are a cross from rhod island reds and something else i cant remeber but there egg laying birds..my friends are meat birds. hers are still small and cute mine are getting bigger can they co exist with each other till they are outside bound as for the ducks we dont have a pond i dont even know what kind they are yet..so any info on them will be helpful. right now her ducks are with her chickens...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Home & Garden

• i will also add i do have the yard for all.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:07 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I've never had ducks. But, have raised many many chickens. The chickens should co-exist just fine. I had 132 laying hens that co-mingled with my Bantams (miniature chickens). And, all of the chickens co-mingled with my turkeys. Never had any issues whatsoever. So, you should be just fine.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:14 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Ducks don't need a pond. Chickens will do fine together - find out if they need different feed or not, they shouldn't though. The non-laying are ready to eat as soon as 5-6 months. Ducks can be with the chickens too, and can probably eat the same stuff too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I think it should be fine :) Just watch for signs of picking- a chick that's plucking out its own feathers or fluff- because once they start this, the other chicks will start to pick at him too, and they'll kill him. THEN they will continue to do it to each other and you'll have a big problem on your hands. Once they start, they usually don't stop, so you'll have to isolate the offender from the rest of the flock to keep them from picking it up or they become cannibals.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:21 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• As long as you have plenty of space, the "picking" will generally not occur.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:23 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• cant help with the chickens but the ducks will need some type of water..so you can buy one of those cheap hard platic kiddie pools from walmart..fill it and watch the fun lol...i would def suggest changing it once a week tho..
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 11:25 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• omg chickens can be mean...now this picking is that a sign that there sick? mine arnt doing this but still...if they do am i to take out the mean chicken or the picking chicken? i have noticed that out of all the chickens 2 of them sleep seprate from the group..the 2 sleep together a foot away from the others just wondering if thats something..i need to buy the book chickens for dummies lol..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• ohh the kiddie pool really thats ok? i have like 3 of them. what about houseing for the ducks? i also want to thank all of you for info its very helpful and reasuring. xo
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:28 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• The term "pecking order" was coined for a reason. It's based largely on personality. Some chickens are more dominant than others, some more docile. Regardless of space, sometimes the dominant ones will peck on the docile ones. Giving more space can help, but doesn't always cure the problem. I recommend Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens. I found mine at Tractor Supply.

JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• As long as they have enough space, the chicks should all get along together well. Watch for pecking/picking at each other. If you have them under a heat lamp, the red ones tend to make them calmer.

As for the ducks, they will likely get along well (mine have), but the ducklings will grow a LOT faster. When I say faster, I mean full grown ducks in 8-12 weeks faster! The chicks (other than the meat birds) will take about 5 months to approach full size.

Don't feed the ducklings medicated chick feed, just plain starter crumbles (the medicated is toxic for the ducks). The ducks will need some water that they can get their heads into up to their nostrils or will end up with breathing problems. They won't create oil for their feathers until about 4 weeks, but you can let them swim and dry them. They won't need a pond ... a baby pool will make them happy though. Msg me if you have more questions :-)
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2011