Why would my 2 year old hurt our cat?

taz777

Asked by taz777 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That was my first thought.  I'm not saying I think discipline is wrong at all.  I'm just saying that in my mind the point of discipline is to teach right from wrong but there has to be understanding there or the point is lost.  And kids are seriously forgetful.  I noticed when my first was about 2, he would forget later on what he wasn't suppose to be doing.  It just made it less stressful and a lot easier to redirect.  Ohhhh maybe that would work.  When your child does something to the cat, just keep redirecting.  Maybe that would work.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I don't think children at that age can really understand what causes an animal pain. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• A 2 year old is still a BABY. Why would it be hard to comprehend that it likely was not malicious.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:08 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Because he's two and he really doesn't know what he is doing is hurting the cat. You have to be able to explain to him and yes, maybe even show him that it hurts and the cat actually has feelings. He has no concept of that unless he's taught to feel those things...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:09 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Because they don't know any better even when you tell them. They don't understand that they are hurting the cat. My 6yo plays really rough with the cat still. She is in time out 5 times a day or more because of the cat! She still doesn't get it.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:08 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Probably because he or she doesn't understand that a cat feels pain or that their own strength is enough to hurt the animal. Kids that young don't really comprehend needing to be gentle with animals.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:08 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• They don't know better. My daughter would always pull my cats legs and hair. She just didn't know how to give gentle affection. She is now almost three and she is very loving but sometimes a little rough.
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Because they havent been taught how to be nice to a cat correctly. My DD who just turned 2 in Jan is very sweet to our 3 cats, has never pulled hair, ears or tails...

Work with them and show your kiddo how to be nice to the kitty
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• they don't know. I was at work and my husband was supposedly watching our girls (3 & 4) at the time. he left them inside with a new bunch of kittens. The 3 year old kept dropping one and it eventually died. I was so angry at both Him and her. Although I took it out on her when I should have taken it out on him. He was always like that when he watched the kids- One of the main reasons I quit work. Which is too bad because I had the better job.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:13 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Because he is still little and does not understand the difference between making nice and being rough and that kitty has feelings too. You will need to show him how to treat kitty, how to pet nice, not pull on her or be rough with her. When I was little my Grandma had cats and my mom would tell me "make nice to kitty, don't pull kitty's whiskers, don't pull kitty's tail" and I would recite that when I walked in and went to pet the cats. If you keep reminding him and keep showing him how to treat kitty he will eventually learn.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2011