Needing a pep talk...

So my kids are out of school this Friday for Good Friday. For whatever reason, my company isn't closed. I need to take the day off since I obviously need to watch them. Daycare is closed too. My bosses are going to be ticked off...as usual. I have the PTO to use, but they still get pissy whenever I need time off for the kids. They don't say anything, just act different and it ruins my week.

So come on mamas, remind me that I shouldn't care...my babies always come first. My boss can suck it! haha!

Jeannie721

Asked by Jeannie721 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• you rock

L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:14 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Bosses are suppose to be buttholes, it's in the job discription. Really just look it up, it's in the fine print, LOL. Don't worry if you have the time to use they will get over it. I'm pretty sure that is one of the reasons they give you the time.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 11:14 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• your kids are most inportant and a job is a job but u can always get another one, kids u cant. it happends at times that u need to stay home with them for what ever reason it may be, and if your boss cant handle that its too bad. he/she will move on attitude wise and get over it. its not your fault everything is closed and you dont have anything to do with it. if you could go in you would this is just something in life that happends from time to time. u shouldnt care and enjoy your day with the kiddies they grow so fast to begin with. :)
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• How long have you known that your kids would be off? You should have told them at least two weeks ago. I would go to them, admit that you messed up and didn't ask off in a timely manner, let them know that it won't happen again ( and make sure it doesn't), but stress to them that you need this day off and can't find back up at the moment. I also suggest trying to find a back up now in case other situations arise like this. It is better to be prepared than worried about it. Yes, your kids do come first but that also means being able to keep a job and provide food and shelter.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:20 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I agree with Liamsmom- bosses are SUPPOSED to be a pain! lol They'll get over it! You are being a good mom- tell them to kiss your butt! lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:31 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Did you give them advance warning, or are you telling them just now? And if the latter, is that a frequent occurrence? If so, I too would have a problem with you... although I agree that kids come first. The date of Good Friday isn't a secret, and schools have their calendars ready at the start of the year so parents can plan.

It's one thing when you've got something completely unexpected, like a sick kid. But if there's any pattern of not planning well, it can hold you back at the very least. It could even get you let go, especially in an at will state where the boss needs no reason to let you go. (And your state is an at-will state.)

Yes, the kids come first. That's why you plan for this stuff weeks if not months in advance.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:37 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• if your bosses cant see that you need to take care of your kids then maybe you need to have a day where you can talk to them about the issue. so this way you dont feel uncomfortable when your home or even when you go back to work. I know how you feel when you are not confortable some where i hate the feeling. I have had to go throw this a few times before but just talking helps out but it sounds like they all ready know your issue and shouldnt get mad over it. they can get them selfs in trouble for not letting you or giving you a hard time over it when you do need it.
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 11:41 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I hate it when bosses act like that especially when you do have the PTO to take off. Screw them and just enjoy the day with your kids. A boss who behaves like that is immature at the very least and doesn't know much about being a boss in my opinion. As long as you give notice and actually have that time to use, they need to just be adults and grasp that you have a life outside the office. It's not likely to happen but that is how it should go.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:41 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I just found out today that the daycare has decided to close. My 7-yr-old was going to stay with his dad, so I DID plan for that. Yes, most of my absences are last minute because I have 3 children (7, 3 and 5 months old) so when they get sick, I don't really have time to give any notice.

One thing that TRULY pisses me off is when my boss says "Can't your husband ever stay home with the kids?" Of course he does! Just fyi from an employee/mother standpoint, that is crossing a line big time!

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'm going with wildflowers25! Screw them! haha
    Jeannie721

Comment by Jeannie721 (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• If for some reason you can't get off, ask one of the daycare workers. When I worked at a daycare, I would make extra money when the daycare closed by babysitting some of the kids whose parents couldn't take off.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:38 PM on Apr. 18, 2011