When can I start weaning my baby?

Baby is 13 weeks, and he's having all the signes of weaning, he's usually still hungry after his milk, and he always watches us eating, and he chews his hand all the time! I thought he was teething but now I'm not sure, any advice?

kylie_bob

Asked by kylie_bob at 11:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Chewing his hand is normal. Could be he uses it as a security object or ihe's hungry, or it's just fun to chew on. Wait until he finds his feet they will be in his mouth all the time.

When he is watching he is observing. He doesn't understand you are eatting. He's just watching his mommy and Daddy do something.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 11:21 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Those aren't signs of weaning, they're normal things. There's no reason to wean unless you just want to - breastfeeding is good for a lot longer than just a few months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• At 13 weeks, you're talking formula. If you WANT to go to formula you can now but it's WAY too early for solids. Just because he's INTERESTED doesn't mean he's ready, any more than a teenager is ready for sex because they've hit puberty and are INTERESTED in it.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:24 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• At this age he is most likely just going through a nuresing strike. Just continue to offer him the breast. DS started to self ween at around 9 months but that is VERY unusual. He didn't stop breastfeeding until he was almost 13 months old. I would have went longer if he wanted to but he just didn't.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2011