What would you do?

My brother-in-law was told in confidence that my husband was recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder. He went back and told another family member (cousin) who is notorious for spreading gossip. I'm annoyed because the BIL had the audacity to tell my husband that the cousin told him bipolar is too widely diagnosed and he should stop taking his meds and drink a few glasses of wine. My husband had issues with alcohol and is not allowed to drink anymore due to his meds. I'm annoyed that my bil would do this. And also at the cousin. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• There isn't much you can do now. Support your husband. He is the only one that matters in this situation, not your bil or cousin...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:39 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• You can't really do much. Just ignore it. You sometimes have to deal with assholes and the best thing to do is nothing.
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 11:41 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• whats done is done sadly. but i would confront both. the first one for being a jerk and telling when asked not to and the second for jeperdizing your dhs health. suport your husband in what ever he has to do and make sure he takes his meds..my x and i got in a huge fight that ended with me getting hit. he was dignosed with bp and perscribed meds that did help him and changed his mood swings. if he didnt take meds he was mean and snappy. meds happy. and safer for me and our dd. ( he drank get drunk, get mad and lash out and it was scary for us ) after his meds he was better and counsiling to talk out what ever issues. yes he is my x now but were still friends and i still make sure he takes his meds. and now he dosent drink so its better. good luck.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Well I would never tell that person a secret again. It's sad that you can't even trust his brother. Sorry you are going through that. (((hugs)))
    Mom1127-0125

Answer by Mom1127-0125 at 11:52 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• It looks like bil can't keep his mouth shut, or keep confidences to himself so next time I would not tell him anything private or anything that you don't want others to hear about. As for his 'advice' I would tell him that since he is NOT a doctor who specializes in bi-polar issues he should NOT be giving "medical" advice! I would also tell hubs to ignore bil's stupid comment (about stopping meds and drinking alcohol) and advise hubs to follow his doctor's recommendations.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:08 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• First of all, don't follow the advice of that idiot telling your DH to 'just have some wine'. Second, don't tell that guy any more secrets! I'd be so mad! Sorry that you can't trust him and he did that to you guys :(
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2011