Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Is it illegal to move out of state with my daughter?

her biological father hasnt been in her life for..well her intire life-6 yrs...i was getting state help and they went after child support, suddenly when they did he decided he wanted to get visitations. they ordered a "phase in" because of how long hes been gone and to not stress her out, he never showed for any of the days..always made an excuse, we went to court again because he put a contempt order in..nothing happened because it wasnt my fault, it was his for not showing..then it was ordered for 4 hours once a week, and to see a councelor on how to introduce my daughter to him, he harrased my councelor and she droped our case..he got one visit and my daughter called him a creep and was scared. well i had informed him of moving out of state because of a job move with my husband(on the phone so i cant prove it to anyone because he will say im lieing)..and now he is saying its illegal that i moved out of state with her. there wasnt anything in the order saying i couldnt move out of state with her.. help, what should i do....(he even told me on the phone he only wants to see her because he doesnt want to have to pay support and get told by friends hes a deadbeat for not seeing her also, he says horrible things on the phone yet acts innocent on facebook messages so he wont get in trouble, he wants to be spiteful with me), i have 3 kids and no job, my husband is the only one working and we had to move so he would have a job and us a place to live....

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (12)
  • As long as there is no court order saying anything about it you are fine.

    Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:37 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • I dont know, I think with a man like that he shouldnt have the right to keep you anywhere, but I dont know the legal issues on it. I will say though if he is saying things on the phone that are bad you should start recording your phone calls with him so that you have proof of his behavior.

    Answer by -LovingMamma- at 11:37 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • I don't know. Call a lawyer and ask. Or call your social worker from before.

    Answer by Shaken1976 at 11:38 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • If you were never married to him and there is no custody agreement stating that you can't leave the state then tell him to F*** off.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • Look in the custody agreement. It may be.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • I think if he would terminate his parental rights, you would be fine,, but I would consult somebody first

    Answer by kimigogo at 11:39 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • sounds like your the one with custody of her, so if there is no court order stating that then yes you can, even if there is i believe that you can petition the court and ask for a hearing to see if you can move.

    Answer by jenn4443 at 11:40 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • I agree with anon

    Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:40 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • we were never married(he left me as soon as i gave birth because he said he wasnt ready to be a parent, he didnt even look at her,..i was 17...i wasnt ready to be a parent either but i had to grow up and take care of my responsibility(and i wouldnt change my choices for anything..shes made me grow up fast and become an adult, i love her) and there isnt any order saying i cant leave state.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • then you have your answer and tell him where to go. Good luck, sounds like he is just trying to be a jerk.

    Answer by jenn4443 at 11:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting

Next question overall (Relationships)
What would you do?