Would you have been mad?

My 6 yr old dd was helping carrying in grocries & she grabbed a jug of milk...When she walked into the kitchen she dropped it..I seen it happen..it just slipped out of her hand...my hubby flew off the handle & started yelling at her then yelled at me for letting her carry it in the house...I stuck up for dd & said accident's happen...he's dropped a 12 pack of soda in Wal-Mart parking lot before...what would you have done?

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 11:40 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would have done the same stuck up for my DD. Accidents do happen and it is a learning experience, maybe next time she can help just don't have her carry the milk in. To me it is not that big of a deal, it was just milk and there are worse things in life that can happen. I would also probably talk to my DH when my DD is not around and explain why I would not have reacted that way.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I would have told him to shutup.  I can't see him getting mad over something so small we don't cry about "spilled milk", we just clean it up. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:42 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• You have a reactive husband, he probably had a reactive father or mother. He should not be yelling at you or your daughter. She was trying to help and he should have said, "Good job honey, but next time let mom carry the milk, it looks like it is too heavy for you."

He must be a person who likes to blame others for things, and is deep down fearful of being blamed for things himself. The problem with this behavior is that it is going to really cut the self esteem of his daughter...and make a viscous cycle where she is going to look around and blame someone the minute something happens in her life. And she is learning how to be reactive too.

When things are cool you need to talk to your husband about how his words made you and your daughter feel. Emphasize how she was trying to help and that you understand his frustration, but accidents do happen, that is life. He needs to count to 10 next time or be able to walk away.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:47 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Did the milk bust on the floor? If so, I would have helped my dd clean up the mess. I would have stepped out of the room and told dh that accidents happen, I'm sure she feels bad enough as it is, and he didnt need to add to it.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:42 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• told him to chow down on a midol and knock it off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Accidents happen like you say but knowing me if I'm on edge already or just having a bad day accidents that happen can seem like a big deal at the moment.
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I would have done the same thing....he probably would have gotten on me too about letting her carry it but I would rather him take it out on me then her
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My only irritation would have been that I had to go back to the store. Grocery shopping is not my favorite thing to do. Accidents happen and if she is anything like my son who is just about her age, she probably loves to help. If my DH had done this we would have had a talk in another room then he would have apologized.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I would have been mad at my husband and told him to shut his mouth.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 11:54 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I would've jumped in his @ss. After all, she was helping carry the groceries to begin with & milk is heavy.
    Mrs_Doll

Answer by Mrs_Doll at 12:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2011