Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Family with teens

If you had a teenager that was a handful and you had family offer to take her and straighten her up would you do it? My brother and sister in law live in Nebraska theirs not much to do their but work the city is far away,and people their are really strict with their kids. She's already been in a lot of hot water with me and she got into trouble with the police. I feel completely lost and I don't want her to mess up like she keeps doing. I feel like if I can send her off with her family that maybe she will straighten up. She'd be away from friends and she would have no special privileges.


Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • You are the parent no one else. You can't pawn your child off to someone else because you can't handle her. This happened to my mom and my little sister and my sister ended up hating her after that. No one said teenagers were easy to deal with. It's called being a parent.

    Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • that is a tough call. For me I think I would try and figure things out at home first, I would try talking to her and seeing if there is way we can work things out. I understand why sending her away might seem like the best, although whose to say she won't run away, get in more trouble or totally not understand why she is being sent away. I also think it depends on how old she is. I mean if she is 13 or 14 then I would not do because I would want to try and get her help at home. Lastly, it would have to depend on what kind of trouble she is getting into.

    Sorry, good luck!

    Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • If everything else has failed and you are at a total loss, then yes I would. This sounds like more then childhood rebellion which if that was the case my answer would be no. But a little country living might be just enough to help get her back on track.

    Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:49 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • get her in counseling find out why she's doing what she's doing. I do have to say you are the parent not your parents or brothers and sisters or cousins ect. Why should they have to deal with your misbehaving teen? That's not fair to them at all or to ur child. I honestly doubt her attitude would be better it would probably be worse if she went to live in the country.

    Answer by chica679 at 11:55 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

  • If she's not already I'd suggest getting her into counseling and continuing to find out what is going on with her. Sending her away to family will show her you have given up or simply don't care anymore, it could also increase the issues, build anger and resentment.
    While there isn't much to do in Nebraska (I live in NE in a town of 1800 people), there is drinking and drug use, and there are plenty of things to do to get yourself into trouble. My parents had the same plan, we moved from California to middle of nowhere NE, I'll tell you it didn't make things any easier for them. If your daughter is anything like me, your family won't be able to control her either.
    I'm not really sure what the answer is but I don't know that you'd really see any change in her with her family. Until you can discover the root of the issues they will be hard to correct. Good luck.

    Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2011