What are the risks of having a hysterectomy? What are some of the side effects?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Health

• I selected health section what happened OP here~
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Infection is always a risk with any surgery. That's all I'm, aware of....I would Google it in your case.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 7:19 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Instant menopause would be one thing. Some hysterectomies can be done easily so it can be removed by way of the vagina. Some have to be done with a traditional incision. One is an easier recovery. I agree to Google it and find out more.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I just had a full hysterectomy preformed by a robot, minimally invasive procedure, . I had two small cuts on each side of my belly button and another in my belly button, I was in  on a Monday afternoon and home by 9 am the next day, the recovery was great, I had my uterus , ovaries removed and my bladder and my vagina muscles fixed for they were torn from my deliveries. Minor risk from this procedure, the robot is called Davinci, look it up.

Answer by older at 7:23 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Side effects I guess would depend on your age, I am 61 and everything they took out was no longer in working condition, so there will be no side effects for me.

Answer by older at 7:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• The uterus is a hormone responsive sex organ that supports the bladder and the bowel. There is no age or time in a woman's life that the uterus no longer functions.  In addition to uterine contractions that occur with orgasm, and it's structural functions, the uterus produces substances that provide cardiovascular protection. When the uterus is removed the risk of heart disease is 3X greater than it is in intact women, and when the ovaries are removed it's 7X greater. Learn more about Female Anatomy: the Functions of the Female Organs.

HERSFoundation

Answer by HERSFoundation at 9:37 PM on Apr. 23, 2011