How young is too young to take your baby camping?

Before I got prego, we made reservations a year in advance for the Housekeeping Campsite, Yosemite. Our visit last summer was spectacular! My then 2yo son had a great time. I would LOVE to go again this summer but there are a lot of reasons why I shouldn't n was wondering if there was anyone out there that's done it.
Baby will be 4-5wks old n I will be nursing on demand. Plus it's a 7hr drive. :(

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 11:51 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All 4 of my kids went camping with us from day 1. Two of those were twins! NThey always did very well. And, we had LOADS of fun!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:53 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• It's up to you, but that seems too young to me.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:53 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I would go.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:53 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I think the drive will be your hardest part. Once you are at the campground, as long as you are mindful of sun exposure and access to mosquitos, I don't think it's impossible to do the trip. I camped with babies, but I think the youngest was at about 8 months of age. Keeping in mind that you won't have a lot of free time for hikes and stuff (especially feeding on demand) will make the trip run more smoothly, too.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:54 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I've taken my Dd camping that young. We're huge out door people & don't find it difficult no matter the child's age. When she was that young, she stayed in my sling most of the day anyway, which made my life easier. I was also breastfeeding, so i could easily pop out a boob and have both hands & arms free while she breastfed in the sling. Super easy...IMO that is.....

What do you think would make it difficult for you?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:54 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I don't see how nursing on demand changes any thing. We have always taken our little ones camping. They sleep so much at that age, that they are the easiest ones to take care of!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• @specialwingz-how old were they??
    Vero0724

Comment by Vero0724 (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Mine were born in August, January & December and we start camping in May. The two born in August went with us the weekend after we got out of the hospital and the other 2 were 4 and 5 mos. old.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Oldest DD was an April baby. She was camping by the time she was 2 weeks old. Swimming at 3 weeks! Younger DD was a Jan. baby. So, camping didn't come till a little later for her. LOL. The twin boys were July babies. They were also 2 weeks old for their 1st camping trip! They all loved being in the fresh air of the outdoors.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My mom did it when one of my sisters was less than a month and I don't remember any issues.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 12:44 PM on Apr. 18, 2011