Healthy Eating Obsession and Tweens

To all moms who are trying to lose weight, are you obsessed with healthy eating and do you try to push your habits onto your kids? Do you ever worry about you or your kids developing an eating disorder because of this?

Cafe Cynthia

Asked by Cafe Cynthia at 10:58 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I am "dieting" on the weight watchers program. My children have always been educated about healthy eating.

In my house, that means:

* Drinking plenty of water -- not soda
    * Eat a balanced meal (protien, dairy, fruits/veggies, whole grains)
    * What specific types of food do for their growing bodies
    * Limit sugary treats (good for their bodies & their teeth)
    * Eat whenever you're hungry -- snacking is OK as long as they don't always choose cookies or chips.
    * At mealtime, eat until you're content (don't stuff yourelf) -- snacking is OK or you can have more later.

I don't know how my girls will grow up, but I want them to be educated about food and making healthy choices. The world of media photoshopping and celebrity eating disorders will surely have its' effect on them too. I just hope that they are educated and can think for themselves.
    FishBiscuit

Answer by FishBiscuit at 12:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• kids will to eat what you eat. it's learned behavior. i don't think it's harmful to have them eat healthy. in our house we eat what we buy. so we rarely get sodas, we buy whole grain wheat bread and we rarely buy sweets and we make healthy meals. it's learned behavior. some people only eat white bread cause that is what their parents bought etc. it's never to late to teach your children to eat better, i would like to cut out more meat but i don't know how to make anything without meat.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I am not worried about my children developing an eating disorder. BUT in our family the focus is on being healthy not on being thin and accepting and loving our body as it is. Love handles and all. We hike, do yoga, and try to cook together. It is more about role modeling a good healthy lifestyle rather than body focused. Also not trying to pressure our children to be obsessed with perfection. Eating disorders spring from a variety of wells and issues. As it is now my toddler does have an eating disorder so we are trying to keep things relaxed to help him and to assist him in his future choices about food and activities.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• We eat healthy, and our 12 year old does read the labels and report her findings...but she sees me do it so what can I expect. We also stress being healthy is not being thin as a rail but feeling well in our bodies, having energy to do things, etc. I was overweight for about 10 years and my daughters biological mom is VERY, VERY unhealthy looking and skinny. Our daughter sees that a happy medium is healthier than swaying too much either way. I have lost 40 lbs and feel more like my old self now and our daughter eats very well but isn't trying to idolize ANYONE on tv or otherwise. I am proud that she is happy with who she is....which is totally beautiful by the way! I'm gonna have to lock her up soon !!! LOL
    Anonymous