What are the risks of having a hysterectomy? Does your period stop immediatly after?

I'm terrified to do one I am 36. I have been told it will have to be done.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Health

• A hystorectomy is the removal of the uterus. Therefore, you have nothing to have a period from.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• no uterus = no period.. so duh if you have a full one
    Anonymous

• it all depends on if it's a full or partial hysterectomy. either way you won't have a period though. I'd talk to doc about risks and do some research online. Make sure the risks don't outweigh the benefits of any surgery. good luck.
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 12:03 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I had mine 4 days after I turned 38.   The surgery went well and my recovery was text book perfect.  Your periods stop immediately and I sure don't miss them.  I still have my ovaries and started menopause 3 years ago at the age of 44.  It's been pretty easy so far, don't know if that is genetic or a result of the surgery.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• At 29 I had a partial. It really improved the quality of my life! Now I am 41 and having new issues with what is left. I am totally prepared to get the rest out. Let someone take care of you while you and give youself time for healing, that is definately uncomfortable.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• The risks are the same as any other surgery but I wouldn't worry about them. I had one when I was 34. No more periods, no worry about birth control, no pms. I was put on estrogen and took that until recently. For me there were no negatives at all.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 12:20 PM on Apr. 18, 2011