Healthy Eating Obsession and Kids?

To all moms who are trying to lose weight, are you obsessed with healthy eating and do you try to push your habits onto your kids? Do you ever worry about you or your kids developing an eating disorder because of this?

Cafe Cynthia

Asked by Cafe Cynthia at 10:59 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Stressing healthy eating should not encourage a child to develop an eating disorder. Parents should stress the importance of healthy eating habits to their kids. Stressing weight loss could yield that result, though. Healthy eating doesn't just mean limiting certain foods, it also means eating enough of the good foods.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:10 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I completely agree with bluefrogmama, stressing healthy eating should not encourage a child to develop an eating disorder. I want my children to understand the importance of living a healthy lifestyle so, as parents, we must lead by example through eating plenty of the good foods, less of the junk, and incorporating family exercise into our daily routine.
    livewell4me

Answer by livewell4me at 12:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I'm going to have to agree with the above two answers. In a country where convenience food, fast food, and junk are all over the place, you have to teach your children the importance of eating healthy foods. In our house we don't drink soft drinks or have a lot of chips, etc. and my 4 year old even asks if food is healthy. We tell him that as long as he eats healthy food, he can have a "special treat" every now and then (a small bowl of ice cream, a few chocolate chips, cookie, etc.). We stress that healthy food is "very good for your body and makes you feel good." That being said, I cook a lot, I do make healthy food, and my kids eat it up!
    icook

Answer by icook at 1:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I always stress healthy eating habits to my kids. It has nothing to do with weight. Only healthy living. I mkae sure I keep healthy snakcs for them instead of candy. I don't buy soda and I encourage them to drink water instead of juice. This will in no way cause any eating problems. It will make healthy adults who like a variety of foods. If I were obssessed with being skinny than that could cause problems but I stress health to them.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I've recently lost 25 pounds and I'll admit that I am worried that my obsession with being skinny and looking good physically will rub off on my children. I want to encourage them to be healthy just to be healthy but I don't want them to fall in the same way of thinking that I've fallen.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 4:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Healthy eating is a great way to live so I make sure to teach my son healthy eating habits. We eat lean meats, lots of vegetables, fresh fruits and whole grains. My son will benefit from living this way already does since he is never sick. If a mom is anorexic and pushes that on the kid or the mom eats an unhealthy diet that is wrong. Not eating anything, eating too much and eating an all unhealthy diet are problems. Our healthy lifestyle is a good thing.

momtoonecuteboy

Answer by momtoonecuteboy at 6:35 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I WISH I could get hubby and our two year old to eat healthy! Maybe then I would be better at it myself. Unfortunatly, my son want "toast sandwiches" (grilled cheese) for dinner EVERY night... and cookie every day at snack time.
    LelandsMommy

Answer by LelandsMommy at 8:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I teach by example we all eat healthy fruit and vegetables. We have snack but my daughter is active and she keeps me active. And my daughter school promote healthy eating. I only get weighed at my doctor appointment.
    Skippytrini

Answer by Skippytrini at 2:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I do think that If you talk about it allot or she hears you judge your body then yes that could be a problem. But for me eating and well with exercise and some treats now and again is good for her to see you caring for your self.
    claras_mommie

Answer by claras_mommie at 9:26 PM on Dec. 5, 2008