ADHD Question

my 8 yr old had ADHD, he does take meds for it and they do seem to help him alot but some days it seems like the meds are not working as much as others.
I was curious if i should be limiting his sugar intake as well. I am kinda new to this, he has been on meds for about 3 months now, i have seen alot of improvment in his school work and his behaviors at school. but last night he was bouncing off the walls.

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Contrary to what you hear, sugar doesn't cause kids to be hyper active. On the other hand, things with caffeine will...such as cola drinks, chocolate & tea.
    Anonymous

• id try to cut out sugar and see how it effects him. itd prob be beneficial
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 12:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• what anonymous said is somewhat true except sugar does have an affect. Sugar makes me hyper! lol
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 12:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• No, there absolutely no link to sugar. If you google it there are tons of references to support it. That is a myth. Just regulate it same as you would anything else due to obesity and tooth decay. I learned the hard way cutting it from my kids, there is no connection.
    Sample article.
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=52516
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 12:36 PM on Apr. 18, 2011