Do you think it's hypocritical to take part in religious festivities you don't ascribe to?

Gaily.Daily

Asked by Gaily.Daily at 12:15 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Only if you intend to mock it by your participation. I've been invited to things religious before by friends & attended out of respect for them. I didn't feel it was hypocritical because I had been invited.
    Anonymous

• Not in general, although I agree with Anonymous - if the intent is to mock, that clearly isn't right. I'm having a hard time deciding how enjoying the celebration could be hypocritical, unless you've gone around saying that "yeah, that festival is bogus and they shouldn't be having a party" and then the next night you show up for the fun. I've never met anyone who has done that.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:21 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Using Christian examples, do you mean something like being invited to something like a baptism or more like celebrating Easter and Christmas when you don't believe in Jesus. I agree with the first answer when it comes to something like going to a baptism, but I do see how it could be hypocritical to celebrate a holiday for a religion you don't believe in. I don't have a problem with people doing it, but I could see how it would be hypocrital. My mom used to do that, I was raised to be an athiest but we had a Christmas tree and presents and santa, and we had easter egg hunts and easter baskets. She just didn't want us to miss out. Now I'm a Christian so I celebrate them as religious holidays, but I don't really care if other people celebrate them too.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• As long as you're there sincerely, and not in jest, I don't find it hypocritical. Even if you may not believe the exact same way, I think it fosters good faith and understanding between the peoples of various religions/ways of belief to be willing to experience these things together. Even as a Christian there are several holidays/festivals of other religions I would love to see and experience for myself. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I am ok with my son attending religious functions at the Catholic church. He goes with dad since he's a believer. But regardless, it's part of our tradition and I would like to expose him to the celebrations and not shelter him.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I "celebrate" Easter & Christmas in a secular manner (because we arent religious; its possible to do this because those "holidays" have been made into secular things & not just religious things over time). Santa & easter Bunny aren't religious symbols. Now, if you mean being invited to religious based celebrations as a guest, like a baptism or a bar mitzvah, that's not the same thing because you are a guest there & you aren't expected to believe in their stuff just to be a guest. If they are praying you can respectful bow your head & just be silent & think about your light bill being due or your shopping list or something lol You can be respectful & not hypocritical.
    Anonymous

• Eh, maybe. I don't believe in any of it, but we do the whole Xmas and Easter things with my family because they're into it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:33 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I don't have a religion at all but I would participate in something like that if I were invited.  I agree, not to mock.  I keep an open mind and don't mind trying new things and I think it could be a great learning experience.  Even if it's not my "cup of tea" so to speak, it would still teach me something.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Not if you are celebrating the non-religious parts of them(like Easter has the religious stuff and the fun bunny and basket and goodies part).
    If you are doing the religious part because of family and you feel its honoring them then I dont find that wrong either.

If you are doing it simply to be a butthead than ya thats wrong but I dont know anyone who doesnt fall into the two things I listed above.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:50 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Yes. Unless you're invited to celebrate with others. But to throw your own celebration of a religious holiday you don't care about IS mockery to those who do believe in it.
    Anonymous