What's your best "Green Living" tip.

We all know the basic ones - reusable bags, recycle, drive less... But what tips do you have to share that most people wouldn't know?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:33 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I just heard this one- put a bottle of beer in your toilet tank, and each time you flush it will save you 12 oz of water.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Dont know if its green but it is alot safer then loads of chemicals and cheap. Listerine. Most people dont know it was invented as an antiseptic, so you can use it on your skin for wounds, fungal infections, dandruff, lice, after shave, deodorant and also for cleaning. You can use it to remove mold and mildew, clean toilets, floor cleaner and disinfectant.

Answer by gemgem at 12:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• skittles, I actually have a 1 liter soda bottle back there. ANY bottle will work, just fill it with water so it doesn't float and make sure it's not going to cut your water to the point that you don't have enough.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I put old milk jugs with water in my 2nd freezer to take up space when it is not full of meat.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 1:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Ohh... Graciesmom - I like that! Never thought of it. Never had any extra room though... lol

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I use junk mail as art paper for my daughter, and I use the envelopes for my coupons in my purse
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• great tips. I'm glad you asked, I wanted to know as well.
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 9:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• One of my favorites is Vinegar in the Drying Agent Sprayer in the Dishwasher... No spots and no Chemicals! AWESOME!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:12 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• we recycle and now composting . I love it.
    mamaliza

Answer by mamaliza at 9:45 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You know those return envelopes you get with bills and junk mail and such (credit card offers) - well, I use those for anything I have to mail out, I print my address labels for my return address, but also my 'to' address, cover up the window or the preprinted address and slap a stamp on it. My empty ink cartridges from my printer, I can turn in or donate to my church to turn in and get free office supplies. I use green products for everything from brushing my teeth, to the laundry, to cleaning. I also cook from scratch from locally grown ingredients. So much more, like composting and growing my own veggies and herbs.
    mrslabel

Answer by mrslabel at 3:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2011