Umbilical hernia in an adult

Has anyone had this and had surgery for it what were any symptoms from the hernia Thanks.....

anfisasmommy

Asked by anfisasmommy at 12:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Health

• I did. You can tell usually if you have one because you will see a bump on or near the belly button. It is usually painful to the touch. There are more serious symptoms if you have complications like throwing up, extreme stomach pain etc. I had mine surgically fixed, and the surgery was very painful. Now everything is fine though. There is always a risk it can come back since the way they fix it generally now days is with mesh. The mesh can come undone.

Answer by gemgem at 12:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Thank you I know I have one they did not say much or seem to worried about it, but I think I want something done cause I can see it when I lay down!
    anfisasmommy

Comment by anfisasmommy (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Thats how mine was. They didnt do anything for mine at first either. I got it when I was pregnant with my youngest son. I got pregnant again with my dd after, and it seemed to get worse. That is when they fixed it.

Answer by gemgem at 12:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Yep, I got it when I was pregnent. There was a large bump at my belly button and it was sore. Surgery was outpatient and very easy. He said if I had gall bladder problems in the past that this would be a good time to remove it (I didn't, but in case you have...) My doctor didn't use mesh, he was able to close it with stiches.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 12:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2011