Around what age should girls start shaving their legs?

soccer.mom

Asked by soccer.mom at 1:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I let my daughter start at 10 bc her leg hair was dark and it embarrassed her...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:15 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Good question.....I'm thinking 13-14.....I'm going to roll with it though. I don't want her to be the only girl in school with hairy legs, kids will make fun of that...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:15 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• When it starts to bother them. I was 11.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Around 11
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Good question. My 8yo is embarrassed by her leg hair but I think she is too young for it. I am thinking 10ish.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• If the hair is dark then get her started at 9. If it's light you could probably wait a year or two.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 1:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I don't think it's a specific age... I think that when the hair is long enough and dark enough for them to want to shave it, then they should be able to. I was 13, but my sister was 9 or 10 when her hair started drawing snickers from classmates.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Whenever it starts to be a true concern. It can be sooooo embarrassing and emotionally damaging to a young girl when she is harrassed everyday about the thick hair on her legs. Some little girls barely have any, but for the ones that do, there shouldn't be an "age" limit . . . the factor would be whether or not she can safely handle a shaver or electric shaver.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:25 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• i was allowed to shave in the 7th grade. also i would say for girls who develop sooner , they should be able to shave once pubic and underarm hair appear. this could be embarrasing in the pool or cheerleading.
    cmerc19

Answer by cmerc19 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I think 6th grade would be a good time. Thats when I started
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 1:43 AM on Apr. 19, 2011