How can I get real labor started?

I have been having alot of contractions, but they are not consistent, or changing my cervix.. I am full term and want to have my baby, what are some ways to encourage labor and keep it going?

sarahlu

Asked by sarahlu at 1:22 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I'm giving you a bump darnit!  I am so there with you!  I am pregnant with my 4th, the baby has dropped and I'm completely effaced.  But no freaking labor yet!  Give us some good ideas ladies! 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• well everyone will prob say sex, if you're up for it :) Squats are good too, that got my cervix going. Good luck, I know how miserable and impatient it gets those last few days! Good luck to you both
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:26 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• sorry, but in all honesty, untill your body is ready for labor, it won't happen. You can do lots of "tricks" but if your body isn't ready, it's just gonna make you miserable. Best of luck sweets. I feel your pain
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:37 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• How far a long are you? You can try a ton of things but unless your body is ready it will just lead to more frustration. Unless you are around 41 or 42 weeks I wouldn't stress and just let things happen naturally.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:43 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Go to the hospital and have them induce you. This is the only 'real' way to start labor. As previous poster said...everything else will only make ya miserable!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 1:44 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I wish I knew.... i always hear sex and walking. If you google it there are a million weird tricks. It doesn't hurt to try them even though people LOVVVEEE to tell you it won't happen until your body and baby are ready.....duh :) but if it makes you feel better to try things go for it!
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 1:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Baby will come when baby is ready. Due dates are approximate. Not concrete. Ya don't take a cake out of the oven before it's done.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• SEX!! The ejaculation has a substance in it that actually thins the cervix which causes your body to dilate. Walking is great too and back massages because they fully relax the muscles in your body.
    txsgal

Answer by txsgal at 2:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• If you are at all dilated, have the doctor strip your membranes. Nipple stimulation will get labor going too. It's what midwives that don't give IVs use to induce labor.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 2:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I was having contractions and lost my mucus plug, yet the hard labor wasn't starting. I read that spicy foods, fresh pineapple and walking might help. I did it all and at 5pm, my water broke. Now, I can't tell you if it was what I did that started things moving or not, but hey, it was worth the shot to me. I stayed away from the nipple stimulation and the castor oil as I heard that those things could make labor worse.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:50 PM on Apr. 18, 2011