Do you have any major problems with your home??

I am trying to figure out if we should buy an older home. I watch the show Holmes on Homes and he shows some pretty scary problems with houses. I was just wondering if you could explain the problems you have, and how old is your home, and maybe the type of house. Thank you in advance!

Linda1012

Asked by Linda1012 at 1:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I think all older homes will have some problems to one degree or another, mine was built in 48 and the gutters have been leaking for quiet some time so there is water damage to the windows and it needs new siding & windows.
    We have redone both of the bothrooms and after the siding and windows I hope to re-do the kitchen, very limited counter space and storage.
    When we purchased it we knew most of its problems but like the huge back yard and the 11.5 acres it came with. The only thing I think I would do diffently is the stairs but hideside is 20/20 (too many for my taste).
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 1:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Our home is only 5 years old but my nephew bought an older home and had to have all the electrical wiring redone before the insurance company would insure it. Cost him $11,000. He could not back out of the deal when they found this problem. I heard on Holme on Homes you should have an electrician do the wiring inspection and a plumber do the plumbing inspection, as well as having a home inspector.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• What needs to be done on older homes mostly depends on what care was taken by the previous owner. I no care or improper care was taken then you're going to have a lot of work after the purchase.
    This can be anywhere from a new roof
    replacing drywall/plaster
    rewiring the entire house
    fixing/replacing the plumbing
    refinishing or replacing flooring
    replacing windows/doors
    replacing old insulation or adding new. (Most older homes are only partially insulated)
    If there was any water damage in the basement, roof, or walls you could be looking at a mold problem. Which could mean stripping the entire house down to the studs, removing mold, and then redrywalling.

I'm talking homes built 1940's and earlier, especially if they were built before the 20's. All homes that aren't brand new are going to have their issues, but older homes especially will have more then most realize.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Our home that was bought in 2009 was built in 1899. The previous owner moved here with her family when she was 10 years old and she had been in the house 57 years when we bought it. Although there were no immediate problems that needed direct attention there are still a lot of things that need replaced. Such as we need to rewire the entire house. We need to rework and replace a lot of the plumbing. We need to redrywall the entire upstairs (ceiling and walls) and replace some of the doors. We need to reenforce the floor to the attic in the garage, rip out and rebuild thestairway to that same attic. There are also cosmentic things that they've done like with the odd choice for kitchen counters and wall coverings, that need to be replaced as well.

We'll be working on this house for quite a number of years before it's looking new again. Buying older houses is a risk, always a risk.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:56 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Buying older homes is always a risk. We have a fixer upper so we are doing a lot of work but we did that onpurpose. Dh is a carpenter/gc so he can do most of the work hinself and we get to make our home exactly what we want it to be
    alliesmom112

Answer by alliesmom112 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Before you actually purchase the home or give a down payment or (sign a contract), have a Professional Home Inspector check out the entire home from top to bottom to see what actually may need replacing or any form of work. Then if you are still interested in the home, ask the owners for money off the price of the home so you can fix them or ask them to do it.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:44 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• BUYING AN OLDER HOMES SOMETIMES NEED MORE WORK, DEPENDING HOW THE OWNERS KEEP IT.
    RACINGMANIA

Answer by RACINGMANIA at 3:50 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My first house was 85 years old. Electrical was the first major fix/expense. Insulation happened the first winter. Uneven walls and doors created huge problems when trying to fix anything. Lived in it for 5 years..would never buy a house that old again.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• you can buy a brand new house and have problems if it was built poorly
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 7:08 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Our house has a roof issue.. I think it needs a new one. I think moisture is getting into my attic from the bad roof causing mold in the house itself.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 7:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2011