Breast feeding

Ive decided to breast feed and bottle feed but I was told I have to breast feed for like 4 months or weeks (not sure)straight before I introduce the bottle to avoid nipple confusion.Is this true?

augboy11

Asked by augboy11 at 1:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 1 month or longer is best.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I was told that also.  The first month was suppose to be for establishing milk supply and getting breastfeeding "down" before introducing a different nipple.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Yes and no. It's best to wait until breastfeeding is established and going well before introducing any artificial nipples. Even then, some babies will prefer the faster flow of the bottle, and begin to refuse the breast, or, refuse the bottle because they prefer the breast. And then, there are also babies that go seamlessly between breast and bottle. Another concern of doing both is supply. Whenever baby eats, milk should be removed from your breasts, so if you give a bottle, you should be pumping at that time to keep up supply.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My son had to be bottlefed early because he had a rare type of jaundice that my breastmilk was preventing from clearing. I had to pump for 1 week, while he bottlefed formula exculsively. (He was two weeks). I didn't have any problem with nipple confusion. He loved to breastfeed. Also loved the bottle . . now he loves food.

It depends on the baby.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I have a different opinion b/c of what worked for us....maybe we were lucky. Both my DS who and DD had breast, bottle, and pacifier all before one week and never had "nipple confusion" I've seen so many people struggle saying their now 3 mo or whatever refuses to take the bottle and they have to go back to work.....We used the medela wide based nipple and still do for DD who's 3 mo and she goes back and forth without a hitch. Anybody can give her the bottle at daycare now.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I pumped out the milk so my LOs had breast milk regardless of where it came from :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:33 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Sorry I couldnt type much before..was nursing the baby in one arm,LOL.
    I found that the longer I waited before introducing the bottle that the more successful I was with nursing.My youngest is almost 7 months..I introduced the bottle at about 3 months with him..with pumped breast milk.I think that for ME..personally..it was easier this time around to nurse longer with not trying to alternate with bottles too much in the beginning. We are now, however attempting to transistion from nursing to bottled formula..and that is a story of all its own,lol.
    Good Luck mama. :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:33 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Whenever you introduce a bottle, you run the risk of nipple preference. Some babies have a hard time with it, others don't, and there's no way to tell which yours will be until you try. The biggest reason to stick with breastfeeding only for the first several weeks is to firmly establish your milk supply. Once that's done, you can try a bottle. Something else to consider is that some babies do well with bottles, some refuse them altogether, so you may have a fight on your hands with just introducing a bottle; again, no telling until you try.

Basically, it can go either way whenever you introduce a bottle. The biggest consideration is going to be just how successful you want to be at breastfeeding and how much formula you're willing to give.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I waited the 2 months like they said and DS refused to take abottle until right before he turnned 6 months. But you are suppose to wait 2 months so that the baby and you get the technique of bf down and so your milk supply is completely established.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• It's best to wait, to establish your supply.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:57 PM on Apr. 18, 2011