What does it mean when your left arm is numb?

I am 31 yrs old and completely healthy, so I doubt it's a heart attack. What else could it be? It just started about 10 minutes ago and it has travelled down to my hand and fingers. I tried massaging the whole arm and hand and nothing is working. It is cold and feels numb. My shirt sleeve isn't too tight, I have no other aches or pains, so weird! It just feels like there is a rubber band wrapped around my upper arm or something.

Jeannie721

Asked by Jeannie721 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Health

• Could be alot of things...pinched nerve, heart issues, stroke. I'd go to the dr though.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 1:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• It means go to the doctor a heart attack is not the only reason your arm gets numb. Check it out its better to be safe then sorry.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Go the the doctor. It could be a pinched nerve in your neck area . . . it could be a clot in your arm . . . it could be peripheral neuropathy. In any event, you need to be checked out. It is very important that you do that as soon as possible.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Sounds like something to do with a nerve.
    Anonymous

• You can be completely healthy and still have heart or artery problems. Numb left are? possible stroke or heart attack, or a blocked artery. Could even be from the arm of a chair and the way your are is resting on it. Id see a Dr just to be sure.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:38 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• This has happened before and it just went away, but that was over a year ago. I think I'll make an appt.
    Jeannie721

Comment by Jeannie721 (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Swelling is excess fluid pooling in one area. This could be caused by poor circulation among a varity of other things. The best thing to do is to contact your doctor or go to your local clinic and have it checked out. Spontaneous swelling is never a good thing and it should be checked out.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Sounds like a nerve. I have that due to a shoulder injury. But if you don't, get to a doctor and have them check you out.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 1:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Your age makes it less likely that you would have the numbness to begin with, but it doesn't mean that it can't happen. If you are a smoker or on a birth control pill you are at greater risk. I'd call your doctor now and see what he says. Also, the symptoms of a heart attack or stroke are typically different in women than in men. This symptom could also be due to carpal tunnel syndrome or a side effect of medication you may be taking.

Stroke Symptoms May Differ in Women

Learn the Symptoms of a Heart Attack in Women

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• ask your doctor. and not to scare you- but my friends "perfectly healthy" brother died of a heartattack at 31...and i know other people who have had heart attacks in early 30's, it's a common misconception that it happens only to much older people. sure, it may not be as frequent- but it's possible so definitely check any and everything out. good luck.
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 1:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2011