What would you do about your child calling other children names?

How would you deal with it and stop it?

MrsHouston47302

Asked by MrsHouston47302 at 1:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• Speaking in an ugly tone, saying hurtful things and name calling are all unacceptable in our home. From the time they are 2-3 we emphasize this. When they are small I turn immediately to them and use my tone as well as facial expression and tell them it is not okay to do whatever they just did. As they get older4-6 I use time outs. Your response has to be immediate and consistant every time. The first time you let it go you undermine yourself. Kids over 9Have to write me a paper about what they said, why it was wrong and what could they do differently. Teens..lose priviliges they like the most. I always make sure they know it is okay to be angry or sad or hurt..but it is not okay to lash out at others.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:40 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My oldest does that to his brother and I give him the "mom glare" and tell him to call his brother by his right name... and I give him warning #1. (if he keeps up he gets warning #2 and then consequence). I also remind him that HE does not like to be called names so he should not call others names.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Explain why it is hurtful and offer a scenario where the shoe is on the other foot. This way, your child can imagine that someone is calling him/her names and they would say they don't like how it feels.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 1:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Well depending on what the name was would depend on the punishment,, I overheard DS calling his friend a baby,, I told him to apologize and then we had a long talk on why it isn't appropriate to do so,,, I don't tolerate it at all, but it hasn't been too much of problem, he has a pretty soft heart.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Sit down and talk with them about how hurtful it is to others. Ask them how they would feel if someone was calling them the same names.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 18, 2011