Breastfeeding && Losing weight?

I was un-able to breastfeed with my first daughter, and I don't think i'm going to be able to breastfeed with this one either. I have heard a lot of people say they lost a lot of weight from breastfeeding, is this true?

Did any of you ladies breastfeed and lose weight?

PrdWifeNMom07

Asked by PrdWifeNMom07 at 1:38 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I didn't!! I breast fed, but I didn't loose weight.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:39 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I lost almost 40lbs breastfeeding. I ate whatever I wanted as long as the baby was ok with it.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 1:40 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• It's all situational dependant. I knew lots of women who lost a considerable amount of weight while breastfeeding and women who didn't
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:40 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Hmmm not sure if its a direct correlation, but I've lost all my baby weight plus 7lbs and the 1st baby I only lost half the weight w/breastfeeding. You're still supposed to eat calories like you're preggo for brestfeeding b/c the baby takes them. But exercise will help garanteed:)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:40 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I didn't loose any weight while breastfeeding.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I didn't really lose but I did not gain while BF, for some it works great just watch what you eat.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I lost my weight somehow like magically and did not breastfeed so i think it depends on your body, and not really the breastfeeding. Breastfeeding does help your uterus contract and shrink back down to it's original size faster, but as far as burning fat cells who knows!
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 1:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Some women do, some don't.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:56 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Because some of the food you're eating gets broken down and made into the milk for baby, your body ends up burning extra calories while you literally just sit there. Thats really the only way it helps you lose weight.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 2:01 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I have lost 19lbs. Breastfeeding can be a good benefit if you know a few things. When you are nursing you burn more calories so you are allowed to eat more. I am counting calories but I don't go below 2,500 calories. To keep a healthy milk supply you want to make sure you are getting enough nutrients. I like to eat around three 600 calorie meals and four 200 calorie snacks. You can be pretty flexible with this and eat just about anything. Of course I wouldn't eat a lot of junk food but I do like a sweet treat. My favorite is angel food cake and strawberries. It is always helpful to be active and work out but I am not that motivated but with my kids I stay pretty active just taking care of them :)
    MommaErp

Answer by MommaErp at 2:08 PM on Apr. 18, 2011