Daughter at Wedding?

I am getting married in 4weeks. I have been thinking a lot about how to involve my daughter (who is 3 and a half) in the wedding. I like the idea of a flower girl, but at the same time it seems a little bit to not important. She is my daughter. My fiance is going to be adding her to his family as well as me after this ceremony. Do you think it would be ok if I walked down the aisle holding her hand instead of having my dad? My dad and I aren't even close.......

Thanks for any input!! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• It's your wedding - do whatever you want! I think walking down the isle together, signifying that you aren't just making a new couple, but also making a new family, is very touching.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 1:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I would go for it. It will make for a sweet memory.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Of course you can, it's YOU wedding, you can do whatever in the hell ya want to. Congratulations
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Yes walk her down the aisle by all means. It is your wedding period & you dont have to do the "normal" thing. Break the news to your dad by saying that you are going to do sevearl things in your wedding that may not be considered "normal" & that is one of them. Explain how you strongly believe your daughter should be with you the entire time your getting married b/c she is apart of you & the family, etc. Also tell him your fiance backs you up on the choice of this & insists as well that your daughter be a big part of it all. But yes do whatever will make you two happy & if your dad is upset about it then honestly oh well in my opinion.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Have her walk down the aisle with you. My son will be walking me down the aisle at my wedding. It's your wedding, make it what you want.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 1:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I think let her walk you down the aisle,, and then let her be the flower girl too! Congrats,, I bet she will have a ball getting to do 2 important things in your wedding,, I guess she would throw the flowers, and then walk back and get you,, awesome!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I think her walking with you down the aisle is a beautiful way of family representation. After all, he isn't just marrying you...he's also accepting your DD.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• a friend of mine recently re-wed, and in the ceremony, before the bride-groom vows, they had her daughter-groom vows. it was very precious...he made his vows to her (his soon-to-be SD, he has no kids of his own), and presented her with a 'promise' ring. awesome!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• its your wedding you do what you want!! i thin kthat would be a very memorable moment. i think that would be absolutly beautiful for you to walk with her.
    aschwarz06

Answer by aschwarz06 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• However you feel is right. When my SO and I dicussed wedding stuff (some, it's not happening in the very near future) I told him that I wanted my son to give me away. I eloped the first time and I'm now divorced - no need for my father to give me away at this point I think. But my son's permission would be wanted and needed to have my SO in his life forever so I feel like him having that job is the best fit for him.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 2:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2011