When you're pregnant and go to the doctor, and they make you pee in a cup... adult content

What do they test for?

I usually go right before I leave because I can't drive 30 minutes and wait in the waiting room for 20 more without having to go. I've had three times already where I haven't been able to go at my appointments, and they get all angry with me. Why is it a big deal? I feel fine, I don't have any discharge, smell or discomfort..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• They are also checking hormonal levels and possibly your sugar level and of course they are looking for protein in your urine.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:08 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• One of the main things they screen for is protein in your urine, which is a warning sign of pre-eclampsia. I know this because I had it. It is VERY uncomfortable and can be fatal to you and your baby if not treated properly. PEE IN THE CUP! Ask them the minute you walk in for a cup and urinate before you see the doctor or nurse. That's how my OB ran their office.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Potassium and iron levels I believe. As well as making sure there is no UTI
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 2:06 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• they could be monitoring your blood sugar, sodium/hormone levels, possible drug-intake..why haven't you asked your doctor? or complained to them that you simply cannot wait that long? perhaps continue drinking water, even after you've peed (before your appt) so you can 'make some' when they need it.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:08 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Pee befor you leave. Then drink a glass of water right after you go or during you ride their. Don't know why they want the urine. But they always do.

Answer by louise2 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Protein in your urine its a sign of preclampsia
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 2:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My doctor's office send us home with the cup so we can pee before we leave our homes.
    CrazyMommy87

Answer by CrazyMommy87 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• If I had to go when I got there, I would ask if I could pee in the cup as soon as I got there. I would also do as louise2 said. I would pee and drink water on my way there.

They caught the beginning of an UTI that I wasn't even showing symptoms of yet. They also check for what others have stated. You might feel fine and still have a problem. This is how they make sure that your pregnancy is going as well as it can and check for problems BEFORE you or the baby is in danger.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I think you should go there and ask for the cup. You can pee in it and then wait in waiting room.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• You have to pee in the cup they check lots of things with this and its very important!!!!!!
    Anonymous