Should schools teach nutrition, fitness and general health?

In these questions about the content of school lunches, etc, people keep saying they should focus on "education". Did we suddenly remove nutrition, fitness and health classes from schools?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:08 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think they should be included as part of your education. They were when I went to school.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I graduated in 06 and they still had them then
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• nutrition is a HUGE part of being educated (to me), most kids have no idea what a healthy well balanced days worth of food looks like!
    I they should also have a money management class too.
    fitness is important, but with budgets I doubt school can afford actual gym equipment and kids get bored just running laps.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 2:11 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Yes they removed them. Just like they cut out, art, music and other extra education that would help your child down the road of life. Like home economics, I had in school where we learned to cook. Kids today dont get that now.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• At what point is it the parents job to teach their children anything. School used to be Reading Writing Arithmetic, now they seem to be responsible for EVERYTHING. Teachers have a huge responsibility and they get more and more added to that every year. What exactly are the parents suppose to be teaching their children?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• What exactly are the parents suppose to be teaching their children?

Why is it either/or? We expect parents to teach kids manners. Does that mean kids should get a pass on telling a teacher to go f themselves because teaching manners is the parents' job?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I know that fitness classes in our schools are primarily about physical fitness (exercise), self-awareness (body-wise) & sex education. It's only 1 semester long & barely touches much about nutrition. Being that people live by different lifestyles/cultures/cuisines, it makes it hard to pinpoint what is right for EVERYONE. Not to mention the plethora of food allergies that we now have in our society. Home Economics classes are a dying breed. Where they do exist, they are simply electives. In all honesty, I think it is entirely up to the family to determine/choose what their family eats.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Is that not already in Health Class or like Home Economics, Gym class? Maybe the school system should enhance it a little. Good idea..
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 2:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Our 5th grade does a huge section on food and nutrition. They tie it into math as well, teaching the kids how to calculate calories and story problems. Then again, it's a private school.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:20 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Our 5th grade does a huge section on food and nutrition. They tie it into math as well, teaching the kids how to calculate calories and story problems.

My son has something similar in 2nd (public school), but it's not calorie counting, it's using the servings to work on fractions and basic arithmetic.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2011