I have an 18 month old who will not eat vegetables - the best we do with him is spaghetti sauce and are french fries considered a veggie? Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have an 18 month old who will not eat vegetables - the best we do with him is spaghetti sauce and are french fries considered a veggie? My 2 1/2 year old eats EVERY vegetable and I do offer my younger one the same ones, but he just spits them out. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I be hiding them? @JuicyJuiceUSA Bunch member

sosikcmu

Asked by sosikcmu at 2:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• If he's narrowing down to only a few foods he will eat, take those foods away. It will be a horrible few days, but once he realizes that he's not going to get anything different and that you're not going to make it easy on him, he'll give in and eat what you give him.
    I had to do that with fries as well...it got to the point where my daughter wouldn't eat anything but the fries...she hasn't had any fries in a few months now.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 2:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• No, french fries are not a vegetable - potatoes are not a vegetable, they are a starch. Try them different ways - steamed, raw, in soups, etc. Hiding them will just make for a lifetime of picky eating.
    Anonymous

• LMAO...did you seriously ask if french fries are veggies bahahaha!!!!!
    Anonymous

• I make mac and cheese with cauliflower in it, puree it, and DS never knows,, my son will eat raw veggies, but not cooked, your little one is probably too small for carrots and broc,,, I think that the V8 new juice is pretty amazing, it does have sugar in it, but I bought a juicer and have been able to make some pretty good Juice,, I usually hate beets, but put it in my juicer with other stuff, and pretty darn good!,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Instead of french fries, try cutting up potatoes like french fries (leave the skin on) melt some butter & coat the potatoes in the melted butter. Then add a bit of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt & pepper (go easy on the spices, it really doesn't need much at all) & bake them in the oven at 400 until a but browned. You can flip them around here & there while baking if you're anal about evened browning. Just tell him they ARE french fries. Potatoes are healthy for you, but not once they have been fried to smithereens.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Try those sneaky chef books where you puree cauliflower to add it to mac-n-cheese and other ways to hide veggies in foods they Do eat.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:11 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Just keep offering healthy choices and he will eventually eat many things. Don't stress or make it a battle. Does he take vitamins?
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• my kids like raw veggies with dip they enjoy dipping!
    CrazyMommy87

Answer by CrazyMommy87 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• try veggies with ranch sauce
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• LOL - I was just joking about the french fries! He'll eat corn like every three times I give it to him...I think I'm goign to try taking away the "starchy" stuff that he likes and give that a try! I agree that hiding it doesn't make for a healthy lifestyle later on.
    sosikcmu

Comment by sosikcmu (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2011