Do you think that it is appropriate to chastise your child in church?

Chunky_Dynamic

Asked by Chunky_Dynamic at 2:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• If they are being disruptive, YES chastise them. Why should church make a difference?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:25 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• If they are misbehaving then of course... I think it would be inappropriate to let them get away with it and let them think its ok to behave that way.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• you mean scold or discipline? it would be improper not to, anywhere, if they needed it.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:28 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Yes, if they are acting up/getting out of line...definatly chastise them....people in church have children too lol they know how it is! lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I had an older gentleman sitting behind me in church last Sunday thank me for getting after my son. He said "its nice to see a younger mother who actually cares about how her children behave."
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 2:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• chas·tise /CHasˈtīz/ Verb
    1. Rebuke or reprimand severely.
    2. Punish, esp. by beating.

I don't have to "chastise" my children anywhere.  Although they may need an occasional reminder to settle down (they are very young), they are very well behaved and never require a "beating" or "severe reprimand".  Perhaps their good behavior is due to them never having set foot in a church.

Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 2:33 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• On a bus or on a plane in a church or in anywhere,, I don't think chastising a child is correct,, now if you mean grabbing them by the hand and marching their behinds out of there,, totally different,, telling them to be quiet of course, but chastise to me means belittiling them,,,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:33 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Misbehavior needs to be dealt with at the time of the occurence no matter where you are.

specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• It should never matter where they are being bad. Let them know and correct it at the moment it occurs or they will forget and do it again.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 2:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I think you should always correct your child for misbehaving, especially in a place like church where good behavior is needed in order to be considerate of others. However, I don't think you should loudly scold your child in the middle of the sermon or in any way that attracts attention or distracts others in the congregation. Just because my child is being disruptive doesn't mean my reprimand needs to be disruptive. If that was the case I would simply remove my child to a better location to be able to discipline without causing a scene or disruption to others.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2011