When should I give my notice?

I am leaving my job to go back to my old company, and to do hair again! Long story short, I wanted to give them a month, but everyone who has worked for them prior says not to do it, just give 2 weeks notice and call it good, because there is a chance they will say leave now,, out side sales very competitive,, well I NEED my last check, so what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• I am an extremely professional person. And, not so long ago, I would NEVER suggest not giving notice. However, OP has stated that people are being asked to leave when they give notice. One has to look out for themselves. The company certainly doesn't seem to care. There are a LOT of companies now that ask you to leave the minute you give notice because they have a thousand applications on file & can replace you cheaper the minute you leave. I'm not talking about burning bridges here. It doesn't sound like a strong bridge to begin with. And, due to privacy laws today, companies are no longer allowed to give out more of a reference than Yes they worked for this establishment and for how long. PERIOD! If a company gives out more than that info they can be sued. This comes from spending the past 15 yrs in HR.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 3:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• It is very common to be told to leave now. So go in expecting that, especially since others that have worked there say it will happen.
    2 weeks is more than enough normally.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• "I know they will keep my last paycheck,, sales, so I thought I should try to get 1 more under my belt before I leave! "

They MAY NOT keep your last paycheck unless you are on a draw against commission and owe back on the draw. It sounds like you're changing industries? So they might not tell you to leave immediately. They might ask you to take the last two weeks to transition accounts before you go back to salon work.

If you were going to another sales force, I'd expect you to be booted.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Two former coworkers were told "leave now" when they gave their two weeks', so...

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 2:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I gave 2 months notice when i quit my job but they werent like leave now. Thats a hard one im not sure what i would do. Good Luck
    Cherries12

Answer by Cherries12 at 2:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Two weeks seems fair enough as far as the time span is considered.
    txsgal

Answer by txsgal at 2:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• You can do what specialwingz said and burn bridges so that you could never again use them as a reference. I wouldn't recommend that.
    Anonymous

• Well I think that I will go with the 2 weeks, but feel a bit guilty, but it has been the MOST AWFUL experience of my life, I have tried to stick it out for 2 years, and have finally admitted to myself that it is not at all what I thought it should be,, I have over 20 years experience in this field, and feel opressed and depressed,, LOL! I know they will keep my last paycheck,, sales, so I thought I should try to get 1 more under my belt before I leave!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Once upon a time I would have said give the customary 2 weeks notice. But, in our current economic times, we need every last penny & companies can replace you with any one of a thousand new apllicants. It's a time when you have to look out for #1 - YOU. Go till your last day, then let them know you won't be back. If you already have a replacement job, you don't need their reference anyway.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2011