How to break a 16 month old from wanting held all the time.

I have a 16 month old that constantly wants held. I ended up hurting my back somehow and constantly picking her up to hold is doing a number on it. I can honestly say I think this is because we used to hold her ALL the time when she was younger and couldn't walk while we were at my SO mom's house because she is handicapped and has "accidents" and I was not keen on letting her on the floor when she couldn't walk. I need to find some way to get her out of this obsession. One thing I found is standing still and not moving around works, it will just take a good 20 minutes until she pushes off me to get down but as soon as I go to walk away to do something, she's running after me saying "up! up!" I have ignored it for awhile but the high pitched screaming is to much for me to handle that often through out the day. It's so loud the neighbors have said they can hear her and that makes me feel horrible! Any help and/or suggestions is GREATLY appreciated :) Thanks

Jennifer_wells

Asked by Jennifer_wells at 2:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You just have to get down on her level, and tell her that you arent going to be holding her right now. Thats what i do with my DD. It may take a few minutes of repeatedly getting down on one knee and telling her, but it works for us.
    Also, just try sitting on the floor with her and playing a game of roll the ball to each other.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:04 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• remove her from the situation get her attention elsewhere i had the same prob with my now 8 yr old and just be strict about it that your not going to do it all the time gl
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Thanks Ladies :)
    Jennifer_wells

Comment by Jennifer_wells (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2011