for SAHM

I look at being a mom as my job. I work 24 hours a day but its my job and i love it. My question for you other SAHM is do you ever feel like just because hubby works you never get time off? All i ask is when he gets home early relax for a while then take the baby from me and let me take a shower without worry, or read for a little but or go smoke a cigarette in peace. Does your hubby truly help you out, cause i know mine only gets one day off a week and i want him to be able to relax but at the same time i feel i deserve 20 min a day to myself!! anyone agree or have a similar situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Relationships

• MY HUSBAND ONLY GETS ONE DAY A WEEK OFF WORK AND WHEN HE DOES WORK HE COMES HOME AFTER THE KIDS ARE IN BED, SO I USUALLY DO THE MOMMY STUFF ALL THE TIME. ON HIS DAY OFF THOUGH HE'S THE ONE WHO TAKES CARE OF THEM.
    Nettye

Answer by Nettye at 11:32 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• In the summer my husband works 6 days a week plus OT, but right now he's down to 5 days with no OT. It's tough but it's definately getting better! I get as much of the housework and such done during the day when he's at work...by the time he gets home everything is done (almost, haha) and then I get my break. I LOVE to read so I usually go upstairs to our "family room" to read a book on my futon. I get about an hour or so and then it's his turn. He usually works out or takes the dogs for a walk. That's his way of relieving stress.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• My SO does help, but I usually have to ask for it. I don't get time to myself still. I have to wait until my son goes to sleep to shower. My SO, finally, gets Saturday and Sunday off. He was working 70 hours a weeks. While he did that, I did everything. He will play with our son and spend time with him and will help do other little things around the house. Having children in a relationship is a two person job. Our son is OUR son and he should be active in raising him and doing the things I do with him, too. I want my SO to relax and enjoy his time at home and he does. He is a father now and has to accept the responsibility that goes with it.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 11:36 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I AGREE.

I tell my hubby all the time.. not to give me a break necessarily but JUST SPEND TIME WITH YOUR CHILD. EXAMPLE.last night he worked... went hunting.. came home did his school work which took about twenty minutes... and he only has school twice a week i would like to add its for his apprenticeship AND they give him answers for tests so its not a hard core kind of thing.... and then he played the WII. i was so frustrated i told him i have taken care of him ALL DAY... and i asked him did you feel him tonight?? did you change a diaper?? did you even play with him?? of course that was a NO. but it dind't get him off the wii.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:37 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• thats the hard thing for me is that he almost negletcts him and DOESN'T spend time iwth him. and its irritating when he's with his nephew who is nine months old than him he treats him better than his own son.. he plays with him constantly and babies him IT PISSES ME OFF!! ANND when we go out he has to look like the best public daddy in the world. DON'T GET ME WRONG he is a good dad i just wish he would do more and just play with him!!!!!
    krazyash023

• My husband works from home. He gets up with our 2 & 3 yr. olds and lets me sleep. EVERY MORNING!!! He gives them breakfast, gets them dressed and spends the morning with them till I get up. This morning, I got up at 9:30! He helps around the house more than any husband I know and helps me clean up the kitchen after dinner. However, it wasn't always this great. When our 24 and 17 yr olds were little, my husband worked out of the house and it was all up to me. However, when he got home, it was me time. Every evening, he cleaned the kitchen after dinner and spent time with the kids while I took a long leisurely bath, or did whatever I wanted. I am really blessed to have such a great husband.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• LOL! I totally agree!! My DH works five/six days a week, and I know when he gets home he's tired and just wants to relax. However, he is the DADDY!! He gets breaks at work, gets to have lunch in peace, etc. So when he gets home, after about 10 minutes I say...they're all yours for the next 10 minutes...I need a break! I don't think that's an unreasonable request seeing as I have been with them all day long. Yes, my decision to stay home with them, but that doesn't mean I don't need a break sometimes, too. And you're right...mommy is a 24/7 job no matter if you stay home or not. Everyone needs a break now and again. Sometimes hubby gets pissy about it if he's had a bad day, but oh well! There your kids too, so help out and let me take a break since you've been gone all day...suck it up and spend 10 minutes with your kids.
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 11:38 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I recently became a sahm and honestly..i feel lazy and useless (b/c i generate 0 income) But..yes i totally understand you and my husband is good about the help..Sometimes i get fustrated because our son is a baby and requires alot of time..but our counselor suggested to him that i do need a break and should get one even if i dont(work) But I look at it this way, even when we bothed worked outside the home..I still had to do everything when i got home..honestly you just have to train them...i will go find something to do when i need a break and when he hears the baby screaming enough, he will go and take care of him b/c he sees that im not going too..
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 11:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• when i was a SAHM, my husband helped me, but not as much as he does now (i am a working mother now). i think its sweet of him to help, but what he doesn't understand is that i was more drained doing housework and taking care of my son than i am now! (sigh) men. they think it's so easy.
    pressley5604

Answer by pressley5604 at 11:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• My husband works 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, so I do it all. And I dont mind. I get "me" time after my daughter goes to bed and before he comes home. I have 2 hours to myself to take a shower, watch TV, get online, sew. And I also have her nap times to clean and go online.
    I appreciate my DH working so hard for us.
    He helps me out in the morning. This past week I was house sitting at my aunts house (which was too far for him to drive to and from work, so I was there alone) and I didnt even know what time DD woke up in the morning, because he is the one who gets up with her. She wakes at 6 and he keeps her 2 hours until 8 so I can rest.
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 11:53 AM on Dec. 2, 2008