Bathing Suits

Does anyone else feel it is inappropriate for a 7 year old girl (age of my oldest daughter) to wear a bikini or a one-piece with holes cut out of it? Same question for my 5 month old daughter, for that matter. I think it is highly inappropriate and have a hell of a time finding age-appropriate swimsuits for them.

Kari727

Asked by Kari727 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Clothing DOES have to do with acting like a lady. If you teach your dd to dress in a modest manner, it teaches her that he body is special and NOT to be seen by everyone. If you walk around showing everything you got when you are 7, what the heck do you do when you are 17 and want to look "grown up" Too late, you did that when you were 7.
    Anonymous

• I fail to see how your clothing makes you a "skank" (by the way, I believe the last time I heard that word was in Jr High). What I *do* see is that regardless of your state of dress, it is up to you to behave in a self respecting manner, or like a "skank" (seriously shuddering every time I type that). Clothing has nothing to do with behaving like a lady.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• No. I do not. Nor do I have a problem with babies swimming in a diaper, or naked.

Any argument which could be made that a pedophile will be turned on by a child in a 2 piece is a moot point- they are attracted to children, period. Regardless of what they are wearing. What a kid is wearing has no effect on it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I may only be a 17 year old mom, but yeah i think thats very inappropriate at that age. I see little girls walking down that streets in clothes they shouldnt be wearing in my opinon, like mini skirts and tube tops. but Some swimsuits for kids are just very inappropriate.
    Cas_93

Answer by Cas_93 at 3:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I wore bikinis when I was little. I was NOT promiscuous. No one hit on me. I had no sexual feelings from it.

I see nothing wrong with it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:12 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I think there are styles that are cute and styles that are too much for a kid that age. Im ok with bikinis, of a modest style, on little girls.
    Anonymous

• I have always bought two pieces for my girls, but not bikinis... more like, tankinis or the longer tops, at the least. The reason being is that it makes it so much easier to go to the bathroom, and since in the summers we spend plenty of time at the beach and at the pool, that convenience does matter to me. That being said, I do agree that it is getting harder and harder finding appropriate swim wear for girls; and now that we've entered the teen years, I'm even more frustrated than ever. What's with all the skimpy, string, cut outs, and barely there suits? I hate it.
    Guinhyvar

Answer by Guinhyvar at 3:03 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I agree that it doesn't matter what a child is wearing when a pedofile is looking at him/her. I just don't believe my girls need to dress like "skanks" at this young age (or any age for that matter). I find it (most of the time) easy to dress my kids in cute/girly, age-appropriate clothing.
    Kari727

Comment by Kari727 (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• I used to be a one piece only for my kid type of mom, but latly I have gotten her several 2 peices, ( i seem to love buying several bathing suits each summer for her) This is the first year I bought her a bikini, Its not a skimpy one, it covers everything and then some. I dont think I will have her wear it at the beach, just around the yard type thing. SHe looovves it! All her friends have them,its pretty normal I'd say...its just another one of her bathing suits.
    I have a friend who is very anit bikini...thought for her its cause she realized her dd couldnt wear them as she was too chubby.(her words)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 3:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• i agree with Guinhyvar. tankinis sound like a good compromise! a lady doesn't not get treated like a lady wearing next to nothing clothing. the better you display yourself the better you may get treated. swimsuits are getting smaller, shorts and dresses shorter..thank God i don't have daughter!
    SarahM.1983

Answer by SarahM.1983 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2011